April 19, 2024

Drivers just wanna be first........


 This is my signature meme for drivers, haha.  I remember drivers ed....we've seen the consequences on the highway and streets when people tailgate.  But mostly I become annoyed at those who just don't want to be behind anyone.  You see them, as I think this is a country ~ or maybe world-wide issue.  Someone slips right in front of you, causing you to slow down (or worse, put on the brakes because they did so they don't hit the person in front of them).  I look in my rear view, and there's no one behind me.  Arhg, that really burns my buns. 

I am busy this morning, have to bake 5 loaves of prosphoro for Sunday.  Tomorrow, we're baking 63 loaves of tsoureki to sell.  It's a delicious bread (although I like it with orange zest, and we're apparently not doing that).  Yesterday I drove all over running errands, partly to get the flour, eggs, etc for tomorrow.  I also had to go to a restaurant supply for sesame seeds, the only place that had a big container of them.  There's a Costco near by, so I figured I would go to that one, but recalling I planned to order contacts from Costco, I decided to go to back across to the one closest to us.  Dropped off a clothing and shoes donation, picked up my rx for my second uti this year, and went to get doggie shampoo.  Luckily dinner was leftovers.....

This vegan tortilla soup is soooo good.  Onion, garlic, chipotle chiles, veg broth, can of fire roasted tomatoes, a can of black beans, plenty of spices.  It is very spicy, which is just the way we like it.  It is blended with an immersion blender, which I like as I'm not a big fan of beans.  

Recipe: 1/2 tsp oil, 1 onion diced, 3-4 garlic cloves minced, 1 jalepeňo or 3-4 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, 400g dices tomatoes or use fresh, 3 Tbsp tomato past, 1 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp sea salt, 1/2 tsp tumeric, 1 Tbsp brown sugar, 1 Tsp balsamic vinegar, 2 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce, 3 cups veg broth, 1/2 cup corn (fried, although I just use the grilled corn from last summer that I removed from the cob and froze), 15 oz black beans rinsed and drained, 1 avocado sliced or chopped, 1/2 cup plant based milk or more veg. broth.     

Heat oil in a large pot and saute onion, jalepeno, garlic over med. heat 3-4 min.  Add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, all condiments, the broth and plant based milk, and beans.  Stir to combine, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 15-20 min.  Blend until smooth with an immersion blender.  

They also put a recipe for homemade tortilla strips, but I just bought some.  Serve with the avocado slices and tortilla strips.    *****I used fire roasted tomatoes and chipotle chiles because I love lots of spicy flavor.  

Two loaves baked, and waiting on the next two to rise for shaping.  In the meantime there's lots of other chores to do!

Have a wonderful weekend!

Love, 365


4 comments:

  1. You're making me get excited about tsoureki. I shouldn't be eating any but I darn well will. I'm going to try again to make a decent loaf but I'll be baking hot cross buns too. They turn out nicely.
    Iove your tortilla soup recipe.
    Good on you for the prosfora. I have made those . And the 5 sweet loaves. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The prosphora was a breeze, it just took a long time. Usually I will do 3 on Friday and 2 on Saturday, but I had to get it all done in one day. Thank you for the well wishes!

      Delete
  2. Ooh this sounds good. We love spicy. While not vegan, I would eat it. Thx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you for the tip on the flour...it's a bit pricey isn't it? But worth it for the angel food cake!

      Delete

Drivers just wanna be first........

 This is my signature meme for drivers, haha.  I remember drivers ed....we've seen the consequences on the highway and streets when peop...