May 13, 2024

It's Monday! hahahaha

 

Oh, how I used to envy the people I saw out walking with or without dogs on that first day of the week.  Now, I get to be one of those people!  I do love it.  Peg mentioned that the days go by faster during retirement, and I do agree.  At 8:30pm ~ when I notice it ~ I mention to Romeo, what the heck happened to the day????  

I painted the downstairs bathroom (it's a half bath, and fairly small).  When I bought the paint, I noticed that Lowes had these packets of scent you can add to the paint.  I figured, why not?  Well, I can tell you why not.  It mixes with the scent of paint and is awful.  I won't be doing that again.  I'm heading there today to buy some garden plants and some paint samples (remember when those were free???) because I'm tackling repainting the dark accent walls with a new color.  I also need to paint my office, and our bedroom, but just one room at a time, please.  Next time I'll enjoy the scent of plain ol' paint, which is a lot better than paint mixed with lavender.  

My hollyhocks are growing like crazy, and one has shot up at least 2 feet.  It has tons of blossoms on it ~ usually they have a large single spike, but I noticed there are flower buds on the main stem too.  The original color was white with a pink center.  These came up in the yard from seeds that blew around, but I honestly don't know if they will be the same or a different shade.  One of the plants is nearly as tall as I am (which isn't saying much, haha).  I'll post a photo when they bloom.

Now that Pascha is over (Orthodox Christian Easter), I've been working on some big cleaning jobs.  I cleaned the stove top...not a favorite job.  Then I remembered that I've been meaning to clean the vent hood, specifically the blower housing.  I estimate it has been at least 10 years since I've done it.  That was a big mistake.  It took two days to clean all of that sludgy grease.  I put a reminder in my calendar for next year because I'm determined not to go through that again.  Romeo was using a spinning scrub brush, so everything around the housing was splattered with that same gunk.  I coulda killed him.  :-)

I'm making pumpernickel sourdough today.  This is one of those breads that you don't put in the fridge for a cold rest before you bake it (I did that once, and it just didn't rise well, so was too dense).  So, if you don't get started early (8am) I'll be up late finishing it.  Most of the time I make pumpernickel for our Priest, as he loves it.  This time we're gonna try it.  I think it'll be great with ham and swiss.  Probably won't have it today though; the last time I made it I was baking at 8pm.  

Well, I guess I've bent your ear (or would that be your eyes, haha) long enough, and I need to get a few things done.  Have a great week!

Love, 365

7 comments:

  1. I have seen those scent packs and I have been tempted. Glad to know they stink. Honestly I don't mind the smell of paint, I kinda like it. Smells fresh and new to me. But I was getting company and I wanted this done before they got here so I thought about it. Thankfully I decided against it.
    I have petunias growing where I never planted them. I had an empty pot on my patio with dirt in it of course. I had removed the dead plant from the pot. Now I have petunias growing there that I never planted. I'm going with it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good call. If you have a sensitive sniffer, it's overwhelming to the point of feeling nauseous. Luckily it is slowly dissipating, but it has taken a couple of weeks.
      Both of the hollyhocks came up from seed, and I told Romeo not to pull them up. They didn't bloom last year, so they're making up for it this year. They even stayed green during the winter, which was nice to have something green! I love it when plants reseed themselves :-)

      Delete
  2. Good on you for the painting. I used to paint walls. Just the thought of it is tiring now lol. But th result must be so satisfying. Hope your Pascha was as enjoyable as ours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is tiring! Especially going around the toilet and pedestal sink.
      Our Pascha was lovely! But everyone was exhausted from all the services during Holy Week!

      Delete
  3. Yours sounds like a really busy but enjoyable 'retirement'. Eagerly awaiting your post on the pumpernickel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is busy, but I admit I have my lazy days. The pumpernickel is in the oven! I hope it comes out good!

      Delete
  4. How did we ever fit all these chores in when we worked full time ?
    Your Hollyhocks sounds delightful, ours grow well enough for the deer to eat them, and they won't share.
    Painting walls sounds like a lot of work, I would have to hire a painter.
    Hugs,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to pumpkin season!

 Yep, I'm one of those pumpkin fans ~ pumpkin spice coffee creamer, pumpkin butter, pumpkin bread, etc.  A few weeks ago we had pumpkin ...