May 27, 2019

Celebrate Memorial Day with Thankfulness.....

Mom and Dad ~ probably 1960?  Stationed in Okinawa back then....

My Dad and I did not have a good relationship.  Estranged for years, I did visit when *Sally called to let us girls know he was dying.  Lung cancer had metastasized to his brain.  He passed away three weeks after our visit. 

But like many of you in my generation, my Dad fought in Vietnam.  The war sparked great protests ~ memorably those protests included veterans.  In 1971, 800 vets threw their combat metals over the fence of the capitol.  The men who returned were not honored by the majority upon their return.  It was a tough time to be an American.  We saw so many great and good men die, and later we learned of the atrocities committed by our own on foreign soil.  

Even though Dad and I weren't close ~ at least after I became a teen ~ I knew some things that Mom and Sis didn't know.  He had admitted to me that he was going to be deployed to Vietnam.  And he was scared.  Oh, everyone knew in short order, but his admission to me was spontaneous and honest.  I could see the fear in his eyes.  He was gone for a bit over a year.  And like so many men who experienced it, he was a changed man.  He had secrets.  But he never revealed those to me.  And now that Mom had dementia and depression, I will not be asking her.  

Today, I wish to honor my Dad's service to our country.  May you rest in peace, Dad.  And thank you.

Love, 365

4 comments:

  1. That was a very nice tribute. I recall Vietnam all too well. I recall the draft numbers of little lottery type balls that would be shown on TV. My high school boyfriend got his number and thankfully they stopped drafting just before he had to go. Whew. My generation just missed it all. Thank God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, thank God! I had forgotten the TV broadcasts of the draft lottery. I remember too the men that left the country (Mexico and Canada) to escape the draft. Terrible times.

      Delete
  2. I appreciate his service too. I was drafted in 71. I expected to go to Vietnam, but I scored high on those wonky tests in basic. Those scores put me in electronic school for six months. After that, the Army sent my entire class to Panama.
    The most serious threat I encountered was sunburn.
    I can understand why your dad experienced fear. I think I think I would have too had my orders read differently.
    R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Panama....likely one of the safer places in Central America during that time, with the exception of the heat and humidity. I've heard it is horrible. I believe my Dad went in 70 or 71 as well. It was a house full of women then.....it was an adjustment to all of us to keep up with everything while he was gone.

      Delete

Drivers just wanna be first........

 This is my signature meme for drivers, haha.  I remember drivers ed....we've seen the consequences on the highway and streets when peop...