April 22, 2019

It's a question of the calendar.....

We made palm crosses on Saturday for Sunday's Palm Sunday service....

The Orthodox church does do things differently.  I've known for months that Easter Sunday is a week later than the 'Western" church.  What does that mean?  

~That the Orthodox church calculates Easter based on the Julian calendar.  Well, what does that mean?  Let's see...

Apparently the Gregorian calendar (more astronomically precise) was adopted to correct the error.  As it was explained on Sunday, the Orthodox church bases the entire year on the Gregorian calendar EXCEPT for Easter.  

Hmmmm, this doesn't clear it up for me at all.  What about you?  

Further reading shows that this "thorny" issue has been discussed, but no permanent solution has been agreed on.  Not much of a surprise there either.  (Oh, and by Western & Eastern I mean Orthodox (East) and Catholicism and Protestanism (West).

Part of the problem is the "fixed" date applied to the vernal equinox of March 21 that the Western church follows, not the astronomically correct date.   If you want to learn more about it, go here...
The whole thing gives me a headache.  I think I'll let the theologians decide, and I'll just go with the flow.  Which means that next Sunday is Easter for Orthodox Christians.  

Are you bored yet?

Love, 365



No comments:

Post a Comment

Shall we go crazy? Yes, I think we shall.......

 There are a lot of things on my mind lately.  One of them is my upcoming colonoscopy.  Which I don't want.   I had one scheduled last f...