September 14, 2014

Did Neanderthals leave behind abstract art?




From Science Daily, 9/4/14.

This is a first ~ rock engravings by Neanderthals.  Buried under sediment at the back of a cave, subsequently dated 39,000 years old, and was found in Gibraltar.  It's significant because it's the first example found of Neanderthal cave art.  Boy, do the Neanderthals get a bad rap from science, although it's improved in the last decade ~ from the heavy brow ridge and shown hairy as a gorilla, he has been "updated" to looking very much like us.  

From the Smithsonian

I tried to find a drawing of how science used to view Neanderthals, but I couldn't find one.  Drat!

They used to be depicted as dumb, strong brutes, that had no language or culture.  We have since discovered that they were very much like Homo Sapiens...have a look at the "family tree".




I know this is rather small & hard to see ~ The Neanderthals are just below and to the right of the "you are here" circle.  For a larger view go here...

Now for my interpretation of the cave art.......
Doesn't it look like a tic-tac-toe game?  
Maybe they were just waiting for the weather to improve before going hunting.


Love, 365



2 comments:

  1. That's really interesting. I wonder if we can now credit them with the first zentangle inspired art? :) The photo you posted does enlarge a bit when I click on it.
    I learned something today!!

    ReplyDelete

Drivers just wanna be first........

 This is my signature meme for drivers, haha.  I remember drivers ed....we've seen the consequences on the highway and streets when peop...