April 5, 2015

In mourning......

Brodie, 9/2006

Our sweet baby, 4/2015

Dogs.....they come into your life with joy & irritation (stop chewing my shoes!...oh, I just stepped in crap......quick, lets go out side before you pee on my rug again!...omg, look how cute they are.....doncha just love puppy breath?).  Then they become your little hairy four legged kids.  Always happy to see you when you come home, happy to go for a walk in any weather, love to jump up on the bed and snuggle.   Brodie (like all of our dogs) was special.  I picked him out of a litter of 5 puppies, and it was love at first site.  Some Scottish Terriers can be snippy, but Brodie was very sweet, even at the groomers.

Ok, I loved this dog with all my heart.  And now my heart is broken, and I cannot quit crying.

Stupid pancreatitis.  After the initial diagnosis, he lost his fight after 4 months.  He was only 8 years old.  We should have had him for 4 to 6 more years.  He was ok on Thursday, but when Romeo got up on Friday morning, it was obvious Brodie had a tough night.  He took the day off so that he could take Brodie to the vet, and I went off to work, worrying.

Then there was the fight with the vet's office.  Romeo packed him up and drove to their office, only to be turned away because "one vet called in sick, and we are just too busy".  Romeo called and told me what happened, and I called them right away....the result being that at first they said to bring him at 4:30, and when I said he might not live that long, they relented (relented for christs sake).  Romeo took him back in around 11:00 and they hooked him up to an i.v.  Initailly the vet thought Brodie had already passed.  He did not improve.  We went in together and had him euthanized, because by then it was obvious that his little body was shutting down.

I miss him.  I rail against the disease, hating it.  Wishing I had just one more day with my beautiful, loving little boy who gave us so much joy.


We have a secret, you and I
that no one else shall know,
for who but I can see you lie
each night in fire glow?

And who but I can reach my hand
before we go to bed
and feel the living warmth of you
and touch your silken head?

And only I walk woodland paths
and see ahead of me,
your small form racing with the wind
so young again, and free.

And only I can see you swim
in every brook I pass
and when I call, no one but I
can see the bending grass.

        ~Author Unknown 




1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry. They do get into your heart, don't they? (( hugs)) to you.

    ReplyDelete

Spring has sprung, let the gardening begin....

  This show of blooms was just the beginning! Of course they smell amazing, and all the pollinators think so too. Windows and back door open...