January 12, 2018

What I learned from Mom.........

A photo taken during the Great Depression

To be fair, my Mom was only 5 during the last year of the depression.......but really, I'm sure the effects lasted beyond 1939 in the hearts and minds of those who went through it.  My Grandparents had 8 children, and Mom was the second to last.  Times were tough.  She recalls getting an orange for Christmas one year ~ probably had a few other things as well, but she does remember that orange.

But, as tough as the depression era was, it passed along some valuable habits to many who survived it.  My Mom hated waste.  She reused everything she could.  We didn't get clothes very often ~ the one time we had more than two or so new outfits would have been right before school started, and Christmas/birthdays.  Shoes?  I suppose I had two pairs plus a pair of athletic shoes....when we called all of them tennis shoes, haha.  

And from here, I planned to list a few things I learned from Mom until I realized that I do them without paying attention, so my list was rather small.  Like washing your gym shoes (which I do with a load of towels so they don't bang around) and then air drying them.  One of our infrequent racquetball players commented on how clean our shoes were, and I mentioned that they can be washed and she seemed startled at the idea.  And here I though everyone did that......

I do appreciate the mind set that my Mom made a habit for me.  I'm not a big fan of wastefulness either.....I remember one of my coworkers watching me cut a tube of hand lotion in half with amazement.  I guess not many people bother, but you can still get 5 to 10 more uses if you do......

Do you have any clever tips?  Please share!

Love, 365


12 comments:

  1. My parents were depression parents also. I am not as thrifty with stuff as they were, but I cringe when I see the way my grandchildren waste things.

    My sandwiches never had more than one slice of meat and i swear mom would cut a slice of baloney in half. The first time I saw a deli roast beef sandwich stuffed with 2 inches of meat I freaked out...in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, I remember our cheese or baloney sandwiches only ever has one slice, not those huge Subway sandwiches. ‘Course, back then I would put down more than one, lol

      Delete
  2. We were just talking about this yesterday. We are part of the 'buy 10, get one free' shampoo club. Every pump bottle of shampoo we get ends up with an inch in the bottom that won't pump out. I stash them under the sink in the bathroom until there are four or five of them, then I get out the rectangluar funnel (we use a rectangular bottle) and invert them all into one bottle. And yes, it does eventually fill the bottle up. Is it necessary? No, we could afford to just toss it out. But I can't do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! This is what I mean, things we do we don’t really think about, but do to use every last bit.....freeze left overs we don’t want to eat the next day for later.....always ask myself if I really need it before buying something (which usually makes me walk away).

      Delete
  3. OH I so do those things with creams and lotions. We always washed our "sneakers" as we called them growing up. I loved my keds clean and white. My parents were the same and honestly I am glad I got their values and lessons. My husbands family was poor. But as he will tell you he never knew until he was much older. They were happy. But when he sees people throw away food his head explodes. Once we were invited to dinner. They made spaghetti and meatballs and sausage. There were about 5 sausages left as well as great bread. He threw it all away. My husband began to say something and I tapped him and shook my head.All the way home he said, "Those would make great sausage pepper and onion with cheese sandwiches. They could use them in another meal. The bread is still good for bread or bread crumbs" This went on and on. He thinks people waste way too much of everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it would have freaked me out to see it thrown away! I do have a friend who absolutely hates leftovers.

      Delete
  4. I'd love to have a pair of Keds but as my wife says they probably cost 50 bucks now and we can't afford them. 'Course I am 77 so I might look silly in them anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it depends on the style you want ~ check out Amazon (of course). At this stage of the game I wear shoes that are comfortable....my feet have a lot of miles on them. :-)

      Delete
  5. I seldom buy meat that hasn't been marked down. Usually have the makings of ten meals in the freezer compartment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And it's OK? I always avoid it because it looks grey and incredibly unappetizing. I know it's a great buy though....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Love 365,
    From when I was born (1945) everyone alive in my family experienced the Depression big time!! My brother was the youngest and he was born in 1932. Close in, Mom, Grandma, my aunt, neighbors and friends were the same!! It was like the Depression never ended!! Talk about being "thrifty" and "re-use stuff!! Clothes with patches were an "Honor!!!"
    As for me... yes, I recycle and "save stuff!!" Those plastic tubs that butter and other stuff come in!! Never mind "zip-lock!!" onward... being an old "Parachute Rigger" both "Sport and Aero/Space" if ya' have a swath of cloth or a length of cord or tape that you may be able to use it goes in the save box!!! Same with "Building material; wood, dry-wall, nails, you-name-it.... When I can I "Line dry!!" all my washed clothes....."OUTSIDE..in the SUN!!!" Regardless, "NONE" of my T-shirts will ever see the inside of a dryer!!! (I have T-shirts from Skydivin' Boogies, DropZones and airshows "Reno Air Races!!" that are 30+ years old and I still wear them!!!!)
    Howz that for sarters???
    skybill

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really appreciate your professional approach.These are pieces of very useful information that will be of great use for me in future.

    หนังไซไฟ

    ReplyDelete

Shall we go crazy? Yes, I think we shall.......

 There are a lot of things on my mind lately.  One of them is my upcoming colonoscopy.  Which I don't want.   I had one scheduled last f...