June 3, 2018

Where did I come from??

99.7% European

My results from 23 & Me DNA testing arrived yesterday.  Does it surprise me?  Well, yes and no.  35.7% British/Irish: that doesn't surprise me at all, as my Mom's side of the family are mainly Welsh and Irish.  French/German: again, to be expected, as my Dad's family is mainly German, although I have no idea about my paternal Grandmother....she died when I was about 10, and my Dad's family didn't visit often.

7.9% Scandanavian?  Yeah, that surprised me.  The rest of the results are less than 1%.  Romeo and I did a comparison, and his DNA shows a lot more diversity than mine does.  I maintain that my family were mostly peasants, and likely didn't have the where with all to hop around Europe.  We laughed and decided his family were either adventurors or gypsies.  

I also had fewer Neanderthal genes than 87% of people who've had their ancestry tested by 23 & Me, but Romeo has 73% more than the average.  This confirms what I've always thought :-)

On the diet front, I made this salad last night:

Spinach, strawberries, blueberries, red onion, chicken, feta, walnuts.  It was a recipe I saw on FB, and it was delicious.  


Also from FB: 
:-)

Enjoy your Sunday!
Love, 365


4 comments:

  1. I did mine on ancestry. I got this whole story of migration and why I had some nationalities and it was so damn interesting. I'm sure you got that too. I sadly am mainly one thing. But due to slave trade to the boot of Italy there is a bit of African. I think it was 3%. Otherwise I am Italian and a lot of 1-3% of greece and that area and to me that is so boring. I was hoping for Scottish, Irish, anything like that. To me that would have been exotic. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Peg, you shouldn't think your ancestry is boring! Italy is pretty exotic to me ~ I had no genes from that region, but Romeo did ~ gypsies, I'm telling you. :-)

      Delete
  2. There's a significant Scandinavian element in the gene pool in eastern England, due to the Vikings. That may also be true in Ireland. People have been mixing genese around in Europe for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, those Norsemen really got around....probably looking for nicer weather and a few acres, lol.

      Delete

Shall we go crazy? Yes, I think we shall.......

 There are a lot of things on my mind lately.  One of them is my upcoming colonoscopy.  Which I don't want.   I had one scheduled last f...