July 16, 2024

Oh, summer, you are starting to piss me off........

 

My cherry tomato plant is producing like mad.  They are smaller than grapes, but oh so tasty.  I have had a couple of fruits off my Celebrity, and the plants I grew from seed are putting on fruit as well.  I have been diligent in searching for tomato horn worms, and yesterday my black light flashlight came in, so I went out an hour after sunset ~ wow, that thing works really well.  It makes the insects glow, and although I didn't see a horn worm, I did see a katydid that I plucked off.  

But tomato horn worms are the grossest bug ever.  

My sister send me this meme after hearing my stories about finding, removing and killing these destructive insects.  Lol.

Demitri is now 2 years old...I baked him a cake (which he will generously share with his sister, Zoē) with carrots and peanut butter.  It has a peanut butter and yogurt frosting too.  Yeah, I do spoil them.  But just look at that face!  How can we not?

There is not much going on.  It's just so hot that we don't want to go anywhere.  The dogs get their walk every morning around 7:30am, and that pretty much does it except for house cleaning/tidying/dishes, etc.  I ignored my sourdough starter to the point that I ended up breaking into my dried stash to start anew.  I just don't want to turn on the oven, and I'm not brave enough to use the grill to bake in.  Luckily, Romeo is feeling energetic since he has mowed the lawn and is replacing the screen on the back door.  Zoē jumps on it, but there was already a small tear anyway.  I am going to the church hall at noon for festival baking.  Right now it's koulouria.  A butter cookie flavored with orange zest....yum.  

I hope all of you are doing your best to stay cool!

Love, 365


6 comments:

  1. Dimitri certainly is cute. No wonder you spoil him.
    As for the heat..... I am the same here. It's just too hot to do anything but basic necessities. I went shopping at 7.30 this morning. Once a week shopping at the moment. At least we are saving a bit of money. But everyone else was out early too. The supermarket was buzzing. I was glad to get home.
    Wishing cool breezes for all of us

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, come on cool breezes! The weather app says we will have temps in the high 70s on Sunday, but as we get closer, I bet it will be the same ol'.

      Delete
  2. My cherry T's are doing also doing well, tasty, but they are producing too much too fast, will poop out too soon and I have to give away much of the current excess.

    That cute pooch deserves some extra cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That cake was really too much for 2 small pups! I think I'm going to have to throw the rest out, or maybe try to freeze it!
      Most people love the gift of home grown tomatoes!

      Delete
  3. 2 years already! Zzzzzzip! I'm not a tomato person. Eric likes them and plants two plants every year. He likes the big heirloom tomatoes. When our daughter was about three she would stand next to the cherry tomato plant in our back yard and pick and eat. She seemed to understand which ones were ripe and which ones weren't. She won't eat tomatoes now. LOL

    I just saw a video this past week of a lady who harvested the tomato horn worms and fed them and filmed their metamorphosis. I want to go out and find some now and do the same.

    Same kid I was talking about up there used to call them 'cattlepidders'. I still have to focus carefully when I say caterpillar out loud because of that. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cattlepidders ~ that is so cute! But oh, man are they ugly.
    I do like the heirloom tomatoes, but haven't had much luck with them. Maybe I'll give them a go next year.

    ReplyDelete

Fall is on it's way.....

  Zoē taking a nap, which we were all doing in the hot part of the day..... "Did you say we are going for a walk???" At last our t...