December 30, 2019

My Christmas cards are still sitting here......

Even though I find this hilarious, I would NEVER send a card like this one.
But it did make me laugh....

Here I am, sitting at my desk (which is super messy as always) and to my right are two boxes of cards.  When I hauled out the Christmas decor I discovered them in the box with all the wrapping paper and gift bags.  I set them on my desk as a reminder to send out cards this year, but they are still sitting there as a reminder of my procrastination.  I didn't send out a single card.  

But I know I am not alone ~ we received two cards this year.  One was mailed from my husband's brother and his wife, and the other was given to me by one of my racquetball friends (who hand makes cards every year, they are beautiful and amazing cards that take her months to plan and make).  So, the tradition of sending out cards has ~ from my experience ~ died a slow death.  

First of all, postage is very expensive.  55 cents for each and every card, not including extra if it is heavy or over-sized.  Cards are fairly cheap unless you want a specific message, or want to impress the recipients with a fancy card.  I also tried send E-cards (you can do it through Hallmark), but no one seemed very happy with them.  I thought they were great, because you could add your message and some were even animated, sang songs, etc. 

Secondly, it takes time.  Generally we like to write something in the card, like "I wish we were together for the holidays", or something personal that you want to say.  The really time crunched write a letter and print out however many they need and stuff it inside the card, which isn't very personal at all......

So, as I sit here, wondering how old these cards are, I wonder if I should just throw them out, and admit to myself that it's not something I will do.  Being honest with oneself is sometimes hard.  We don't want to admit we are unorganized, procrastinating shit-bags, do we?  And yet.  I suppose that is exactly what I am, lol.  

Love, 365

9 comments:

  1. My wife keeps the tradition going sending cards to people I have never met and she hasn't seen in years. I bitched about it for a few years, now I just help her with return addresses and stamps. The expense is ridiculous, but arguing is useless. I say just send emails and or Facebook greetings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, after a certain number of years in marriage we pick and choose our battles, right? Lol

      Delete
  2. I got three cards this year.
    I handed out 10 to people I work with.
    One of the cards I received is from a dear and sweet and wonderful couple who are the parents of the girl who was the maid of honor at my wedding. Every year she faithfully writes and every year I plan to write back and don't, then I feel guilty and by March I feel like it would just be weird and promise myself to do better.

    This year I sat down and typed her a 4 page letter and mailed it.

    I have a friend who sends 1 to 2 hundred letters and cards EVERY MONTH.
    Penpals.

    I'm not that motivated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, is this friend retired? I can't even imagine writing 100-200 letters a month. Oh my word, what would I say? Just thinking about it makes me anxious! Nor am I motivated, we share that!

      Delete
  3. Maybe you've just moved on. I rarely give cards. When I get them, I don't quite know what to do with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose I've moved on from sending cards that I'm not even sure are enjoyed!

      Delete
  4. The tradition is definitely dying out. I sent out 6 cards this year to older cousins and friends and that's about howany I receive. I have a bag of cards from xmases past and hang them up for decoration.
    I always write/type/print out a general letter for everyone and add a hand written message on the bottom. Nowadays most friends and family ready blog so they know the general news.
    Different times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, there are so many alternative ways to stay in touch. Perhaps it's social media and blogging that have reduced the need for cards. I remember when receiving a card in the mail was a big deal. My Grandmother sent me cards every year on my birthday, and there was always a stick of clove chewing gum in it.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Drivers just wanna be first........

 This is my signature meme for drivers, haha.  I remember drivers ed....we've seen the consequences on the highway and streets when peop...