December 10, 2019

Mailing packages.....





Although Romeo now has a gift under the tree (the robe I wrote about in my last post) I still had some small things to mail out.  I picked up some of the flat rate boxes from work and looked up how much it would cost me to mail them.  After being sufficiently shocked, I decided to mail them anyway.  There is a UPS store not far from my house, and they accept USPS stuff too.  So I took them in and after the woman who was helping me (wow, was she grumpy) told me how much it was, I told her I'm sorry I wasted her time and took them to the post office to mail.  It would have cost me $34 dollars.  They would charge me 14 dollars more than the post office would.  I was shocked.  I'll never go there again unless I have a UPS package from Amazon to return.  I think that's highway robbery ~ does anyone say that anymore? haha.

Most of my shopping is done.  The last thing I really needed, for the office "white elephant gift exchange" is coming tomorrow.  I am so glad that part is over, because it's just so stressful, and I am struggling to get through the first part of the month to my next paycheck.  Unfortunately you really can't order from Amazon in October and have them hold it for you until the second week in December!  So I had to wait ~ most everything was picked out in October and November.  I'm tempted to send gift cards to the grandkids (not for them to spend, but the parents to use for what they might like).  Buying a gift for my grandson with autism is especially hard.  Even his Dad (my son) would tell me when I ask for a hint or suggestion that he just doesn't know. 

My co-worker and I baked on Sunday ~ wow, the kitchen looked like a bakery.  The oven was on for 3 hours, and the downstairs was actually too warm.  We had fun though, and she is truly a nice girl.  She's probably in her mid to late 20s. It was nice to have someone to bake with that enjoys it.  We're planning on getting together again sometime to make pumpkin rolls, but I'm wondering if we'll get to it before the holidays. 

I hope your shopping is done, and you're simply enjoying the parties! 
Love, 365

7 comments:

  1. Yeah, those mailbox places are ridiculously overpriced.
    Gift cards are one of my favorite things to receive and I don't know anyone who doesn't appreciate them. :)

    I am not baking this year, trying to pay the hell attention to what I eat. But I sure loved making cookies when I had someone to bake with!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The great thing about gift cards is that I can buy them throughout the year and be done with out of town gifting by October. I guess I'll put that note to get them starting in April :-)

      I love baking ~ probably anyone who reads this knows. But this year I have done soooo many! Most is going to friends and neighbors. I have only eaten two or three....I have to taste them after all. And it is more fun with your kids, your family or a friend or two!

      Delete
  2. Ahh, the joys of Christmas shopping! I still manage to buy everything at stores. Those shipping costs were crazy! You must feel good having your baking done, though. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! I wish I could shop locally and get them there without spending as much as the gift cost. And I currently have another batch of cookies in the freezer to bake later today. :-)

      Delete
  3. Shipping can get into your pocketbook. When I ship one of my books, I go with USPS media mail. That only works with small stuff though.

    I had to knock off a liquor store the last time I sent something UPS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No shopping this year. Can you believe it? We all decided no exchanges. Just time together. Anyhoo, the cooking baking sounded like fun. I'll come next year, I love to bake.And since I can't eat any of it you're safe with me. :-) As for the UPS store, the mark up is enormous there. I went to the one in my development and walked out with the package. It was more than the contents. For some reason I wanted to see if the price was the same at the actual UPS site. So I drove another 3 miles and viola, it went down to a normal price. It was something like $7 from $30something. Big difference. I use them now for returns only. I try to give business to our mail though. I just don't want to see the postal service die. I know, it's silly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think we have to worry about USPS going away anytime soon. Who would do mail delivery? I can't think of a company that wants to take that on.....

      Romeo and I don't usually do much in the way of gifts for each other, although I did tell him I'd like the weather-tech mats for my new suv. And, he's getting a new robe, lol.

      Delete

Drivers just wanna be first........

 This is my signature meme for drivers, haha.  I remember drivers ed....we've seen the consequences on the highway and streets when peop...