July 26, 2021

Procrastinator extraordinaire.......

 


Now that I have graduated from college ~ 2 whole years ago! ~ I don't pro-crastinate as much as I used to.  And some things simply don't allow you to do things in advance.  For instance, this next Sunday I am providing lunch to a whole bunch of people.  I don't have a head count.  So, in order to prevent breaking the bank, there are a lot of things on the menu.  

My main dish is split into two items.  Pasta salad (regular and gluten free* more on that later) and slider sandwiches.  Of course, the items I need I can't really buy too far in advance.  There's lots of fresh vegetables.  A cake that will dry out if I make it too soon.  My biggest problem is finding the slider buns.  Everywhere I went, they are all sold out.  Who knew slider buns would be so freaking popular?  This morning I went out to make one last desperate run.  But to no avail.  NO one had any.  I only went two places, but I realized that the Monday after a weekend probably isn't the best time to look for these elusive small sandwich buns.  So what to do?  These dratted sandwiches are one of the main items.  I really didn't want to go back and think of something else to do......because this meal has to be vegan, and I am not a vegan cook.   I've been a fan of Morning Star Farms sausage patties for a couple of years.  But they are small in size, so using a hamburger bun is just not in the cards.   Except they are, as I've decided to buy those cheap hamburger buns and using my largest biscuit cutter to wack those buns down to size.  

But really, what's with the slider buns?  I've never bought any, have you?  Is it that they're popular or do they just not order very many?  Was this past weekend the weekend of sliders and I missed it?  Lol.
 
I'm sure many of you have purchased gluten free pasta, but this was my first foray.  One pound of regular pasta was 1.99.  12 ounces of gluten free was over 3 bucks.  This was when I decided that the gluten free pasta salad will not be as big as the other one.  There will be peanut butter and jelly roll ups for kids, watermelon and cantaloupe slices, and chocolate cake.  Yep.  I found a vegan chocolate cake recipe and tried it this past Saturday, and to my surprise, it turned out great.  I was so surprised.   If you've ever wanted to try vegan cooking, I suggest you try this dessert first.  And it was incredibly easy!

My upcoming Friday and Saturday are going to be really busy.  If you want to come on over and help, I promise to let you try a vegan sausage slider. :D

Love, 365

8 comments:

  1. Have you considered using those Hawaiian sweet rolls for slider buns? We use them for a recipe that is called tropical funeral sandwiches with ham, Swiss cheese and pineapple slices. Just a thought.

    Menu sounds good!

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did consider them, but they contain eggs and butter (and this meal has to be vegan). They are really good, I love Hawaiian sweet bread!

      Delete
  2. Like Betty I use Hawaiian rolls for my sliders!!
    Tip from a celiac who is Italian and has tried THEM ALL. You can not use all rice pasta. Yes it's dirt cheap but it will get grumpy and gummy quickly. Chickpea pasta, Banta, dies the sane. Those are better for eating hot with sauce immediately. Barilla may be more in price, but you won't be embarrassed to serve it and one can actually eat it! Trust me on this. I've had some epic fails. Just cuz its say GF does not mean it's edible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. GF since 2007... Barilla is the ONLY way to go for GF pasta salad. Banza is good for hot pasta you eat right a way, and Tinkyada brown rice pasta is the best I've found for baked mac and cheese.

      Delete
    2. I did already buy some, but luckily, Romeo is heading off to the store, so I will have him pick up the Barilla rotini. Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  3. What a marathon. Those Greek matriarchs are training you well. At least you don't have to make the sausage patties as well. I'm looking for a good recipe myself. Darn I wish I could come over and try yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just reading the weekly email, and we may have a bit more time to set up as there will be a memorial. Whew! Because I just couldn't figure out how we were going to get it all done :-) You're always welcome if you ever end up in New Mexico!!

      Delete

False spring is over.....

  I took this photo of a ranunculus I bought a few days before.  They are such beautiful flowers ~ so delicate and brightly colored.  I don&...