May 27, 2024

The garden and other stuff....

 

These hollyhocks came up from seeds 2 years ago.  Last year all it did was grow and fill out ~ no complaints here, it was green.  There were two plants that came up, one was near the yard so I put a tomato cage around it so it wouldn't get trampled or cut by the mower.  This year they've grown like crazy.  The one in the photo is nearing 6 feet tall!  The other plant isn't yet blooming, but it's getting ready.  It is so nice to have them since I don't have many more flowers.  I looked at Lowe's for marigolds, but I couldn't find any.  I thought that was crazy, as lots of people plant marigolds in their gardens.

My shishido pepper has a tiny pepper on it, the tomato has two small fruits on it, my jalepeno plants have tiny little fruit.  I think those peach peppers are finally sprouting, but I still am not sure.  The one thing I can't get to sprout is chives.  What the heck?  I thought they would be easy to start from seeds.  All in all I'm happy with the garden.  This year I also planted carrots, but I'm not sure how many we'll get.

Have a wonderful week....

Love, 365

6 comments:

  1. I love hollyhocks and have tried to grow them in both hemispheres (south and north) only to have them succumb to some kind of rust disease - everywhere. Try growing tagetes from seed - do it one year and you will probably never need to buy seed again. They don't turn into a pest (are easy to pull out if you decide you don't wan them next year), but are cheerful and thrive in adversity.

    (Something like these ones - the picture I mean - https://www.crocus.co.uk/plants/_/tagetes-patula-naughty-marietta/classid.2000014888/sku.SD30000639/?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwgdayBhBQEiwAXhMxtl6heqIcKL0EZzVjUIDh6y5pT52XqM0SE3lSTIOItUxf0HviRHzudhoC564QAvD_BwE)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are lovely marigolds...self seeding? Sign me up! Ha ha. I suppose our hollyhocks grow well here since it's so dry. We rarely have humidity over 15%. This means your skin is always dry, and you have all kinds of creams and lotions.

      Delete
  2. The hollyhocks are lovely. Anything that grows like crazy is lovely lol. My chives came from seeds many years ago and they're still growing strong, in a pot. All I do is water them in the summer.
    This is the first year I found marigolds. They're flowering nicely now. Hope your carrots do well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have put more chive seeds in my herb garden, and have my fingers crossed! I've had good luck with carrots in the past, so fingers crossed!

      Delete
  3. Our garden is going nutso this year. We think because we've had more rain than normal. Our tomato plants are too big for cages. I too grow jalapenos. I prefer flower gardens over food that's my husbands jam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy both, but my garden area is rather small, so I'd rather grow things I can eat. I am so tired of grocery store tomatoes, they have very little flavor, although I saw a great salad recipe with roasted cherry tomatoes, roasted red bell peppers, shallots, butter (of course). There was a nice dressing for the tomatoes to marinate in after roasting. Add to that fresh mozzarella and fresh basil. Heaven!

      Delete

It's a beautiful day......

  The hollyhocks just keep growing.  They are beautiful, and I'm really enjoying them.  I have one early plant in my garden that I will ...