February 2, 2019

Mixed emotions.....

WEEK 3

There are a number of issues I have for this final semester.  My goal is nearing its end.  I am nearly done.  Although I have sometimes had the feeling of "what the hell am I doing?" before, it is particularly poignant at this stage of the game.  

I expected to feel done with it all, but am committed.  It's like a marathon that was fun, exciting, painful, and horrifying and now you see the finish line and for some awful reason your feet don't want to move anymore.  Frozen in place.
 
Many of my professors have demonstrated total organization.  Each class has it's own agenda, power point, readings and explanations.  Last semester our professor was the best example of this.  Although obvious that she has been teaching this class for years, I appreciated her power point presentations, and the mini break when she would show us clips of Monty Python's Holy Grail.  She knows what she is doing, because she's been doing it for years.  

My current instructor is a graduate student.  She obviously knows her stuff.  But her class is disorganized at best.  She will start to make a point and then rush on into another before finishing the first one.  I missed class on Thursday when we were to have the first of 5 in class writing assignments.  (Most of my co-workers have been sick the past week and shared).  I offered to send her the assignment in an email and she agreed (which she didn't have to do).  And in the email I sent her this: I want to take a moment to admit to you that I am having a little bit of trouble in class.  I am not familiar with Central America, and so the terms and theories you put forth are unfamiliar to me.  It is so much easier to grasp the ideas when you explain them thoroughly.  Your enthusiasm gets the better of you, and sometimes you don't finish your thoughts before you move on to something else.  Anything you could do to help would be so appreciated!  And that is the problem in a nutshell.  She throws out terms, many times in Spanish without explaining what they are.  She was discussing 3 points of what the Spanish were doing and moved on to another subject before mentioning what the third point was.  And I have yet to discover what she thinks are the important points in the reading assignments.  

Plus, I'm tired of all this.  I don't want her to spoon feed it to me, but I do expect that after 3 weeks I would have a feel for what she wants to concentrate on (is it the political? the history? the dates and people?).  Yeah, the truth is I really don't want to work that hard to figure her out.  

Last Tuesday I stayed after class to ask her a few questions.  Another student was there with me.  And when we left, I asked her if she was as frustrated as I am with her lectures, which she emphatically agreed were chaotic.  
But I will get through this.
I haven't had her reply to my email yet.  And it's possible she won't take criticism well.  I get it, she's a graduate student who hasn't taught that many classes.  But it's my last class.  The time to speak up is now or never.

Now I'm wishing I had taken the other class even though it would have led to a loss of work hours, and eating lunch at my desk every day.  But, it's too late now, we're nearly a month into it.  So, it's true that "I didn't come this far to only come this far".   

Love, 365

7 comments:

  1. I hope she can accept your emailed commentary with a little grace. I don't actually know you, but I can't imagine that you'd have phrased it in an impolite manner. It's difficult for some people who think everyone knows everything they do and then try to build on it when it's not there. There was a guy by the name of E.D. Hirsch about 20 years ago who put forth a 'new' educational theory called Core Knowledge (not to be confused with Common Core). He felt that we all had a sort of social contract and that we all needed specific things in our learning so we could communicate effectively forever. In a perfect world, I guess...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah, well what I have in italics is exactly what I sent. I wanted to be honest, but at least put a positive spin on it, hence using the word "enthusiasm" instead of "chaotic and confusing".

      Communication in college is anything but effective. It's dictatorial. "Here's what I want you to learn" instead of "what do you find interesting in this chapter?". Now, that would be fun.......but it's not about fun, or choices. 4 more months. sigh

      Delete
  2. If she can't learn, how can she teach and expect others to learn?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What can't figure out is how she didn't pick up tips on how to do it right after all those classes to arrive at the cusp of earning her PhD?

      Delete
  3. As I was reading this I was thinking of a friend who is a professor. She and I live far away and one day I was looking for something online and saw her name. As a professor apparently you can be graded online. Yikes. She had some great reviews but many talked about how tough she was and sometimes unfair. I was shocked. I know a different person for the last 40 years. The more I read the more I did not recognize her. Then I saw a comment that was adjusted. Apparently the prof saw them and asked this one person/commenter to discuss with her. The commenter wrote that after she told the prof. all of this she was fair, kind and understanding and would resolve to make it better. That was the person I knew. I do hope that this graduate student take the criticism as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I started this journey I began picking my professors through ratemyprofessor.com. It was truly helpful, but over time I realized that you have to take those ratings with a grain of salt. Most of the comments are made by students that have very little experience in real life. Many are fresh out of high school. Some want the "A" without putting in the work. Or they are chastised for texting while in class & it pisses them off. In short, there are lots of disappointments in life, but expecting something that you haven't put the effort into seems the main theme.

      I had a history teacher that I knew personally as a kind, funny and intelligent woman. Before the class started I read her reviews, and was shocked at the negative ones. But she was tough. She demanded things of us that not all students are willing to give. And those are the students that feel their only avenue is to write a negative review.

      Delete
  4. I think you need to speak up and you will be glad you did. And congrats on also almost being done.

    ReplyDelete

Drivers just wanna be first........

 This is my signature meme for drivers, haha.  I remember drivers ed....we've seen the consequences on the highway and streets when peop...