January 25, 2019

Misk ~ ell ~ aneous

Racquetball peeps....

As I scrutinize this picture I realize one person is missing ~ while trying to return a particularly difficult shot, she hit her mouth with her racket, resulting in the extraction of one of her front teeth and having a bridge done.  If you don't want to injure (or lose!) a body part, stick to riding the stationary bike, haha.  And one of those ladies overdid it in a tournament this past weekend and had to play left handed (resulting in some hilarious shots).  When someone has a birthday, we go all out.  This past Wednesday it was my turn ~ we had shrimp & cocktail sauce, pizza, cake, jalapeno poppers, deviled eggs, and of course, wine.  It was great, even though I left early to study for the dreaded map test.

And here is how the map test went ~ she gave us a blank map, then asked us to refer to the list of places we were to identify.  The map had so many dots and lines that I could barely recognize the borders of the countries.  In fact, I had to erase and redo a few things when she pointed out that "this is the border of Guatemala".  At the end, it was really just an exercise.  I suspected that this would be the case based on the huge number of places we were to learn/memorize.  Then she threatened to make each of us use the pointer to pick out items, but luckily she quit after picking on a few students.  She said she mentioned the word "test" because she didn't think we would put any effort in if she didn't, and knowing where places are is extremely important.  Humph.  Not sure I agree, but at least now I know that Kingston is the capitol of Jamaica, and I know where Martinique is.  Most of my studying was done on this web site, which was actually kind of fun.  

One thing I noticed about graduate students is that they love to put us in groups to "discuss".  Last year our graduate student instructor asked us to list what we liked and didn't ~ and the majority of people said they hated groups, and he quit doing it ~ but I think he was disappointed, haha.  

I think I need to finish my laundry ~ have a wonderful Friday~

Love, 365

9 comments:

  1. Martinique is beautiful as well, very french and just a lovely island.

    My degree is travel and tourism. I actually had to fill in maps. I had no desire to be a travel agent but my instructor kept telling us that we needed to know where everything was so we knew where we were sending people. And also at that time (when we used heavy big tarriff books) you had to know connecting cities and what was near by. All back in the stone age before HUB cities for airlines. So to this day I can fill in that map and name capitals and major cities. Of all things I learned in software, which became my job, this is what I remember most. Pathetic, because why do I need to know this? Except to help you cheat. :-).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I don't think its pathetic to know geography, but I do wish you lived nearby so you could help me study! What did you do with your degree?

      Delete
  2. SHe said it was a test to assure you studied? What is that third grade!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Close ~ undergraduates, haha. And it was a test, she just didn't grade it, thankfully.

      Delete
  3. I got a 67% on your map link. I had a hard time finding Jamaica. I guess I need to watch "Cool Runnings." Have a great Friday and wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you scroll down there are tons of other options, like the U.S., Europe, etc. Your kids might enjoy it ~ at least for a time or two! :-)

      Delete
  4. I gave my 7th gr. class compasses and destination with readings. Some laughed, some did not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea. And you can't make everyone happy!

      Delete

Drivers just wanna be first........

 This is my signature meme for drivers, haha.  I remember drivers ed....we've seen the consequences on the highway and streets when peop...