July 13, 2019

It's consistently inconsistent......

Yep, there's a story here.....

Last week my brotforms/proofing baskets arrived.  I was so excited because they came on Friday instead of Saturday.  Saturday is bread making day, mostly because it takes time, and I can do it while I'm doing laundry and house cleaning.  Anyway, the instructions online suggested putting lots of flour in them.  They are made of cane, and as you can see from the bottom example, it leaves a cool imprint of the cane on the bread.  Plus, I can fit it into my dutch oven to bake (which removes the need to spritz the oven before baking).  

So, last week I floured the heck out of those baskets.  I was terrified the dough would stick, ruining the dough.  But the bread did come out nicely, and was delicious ~ my only unhappy moment was all the flour that stuck to the dough, much of which wouldn't come off with a brush.  I don't mind a bit of flour.  The example above it just about right in my opinion.  So, I decided to go a little minimalist this time.

Which resulted in sticking.  The bottom loaf didn't stick too much, but the upper one was hard to remove from the basket ~ which resulted in a funky pattern that really looks a little twisted.  

Well, regardless of how it looks, it still tastes great.  But next week I'm going back to dusting those baskets within an inch of their lives.  

#homemadebread #delicious #doesn'thavetobeperfect

Love, 365


4 comments:

  1. Ftoo ftoo ftoo gotta keep off that evil eye, cos I'm really envious of those loaves.
    The Dutch oven I presume is with a lid. I like my bread cooked in a covered dish much better than just on a tray or baking dish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I use the dutch oven with the lid on for the first 20 minutes of baking, then remove it for the last 15-20 min. The downside is I can only bake one loaf at a time, and have no room for another dutch oven. I mentioned to Romeo that I wish half of the downstairs was just kitchen. This one, although lovely (we remodeled it) is just not big enough for my culinary adventures.

      Delete
  2. I love home baked bread. Jilda makes it from time to time. Your bread looks like art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Now that I have more time, I am enjoying revisiting some of my favorite hobbies like bread baking.

      Delete

Drivers just wanna be first........

 This is my signature meme for drivers, haha.  I remember drivers ed....we've seen the consequences on the highway and streets when peop...