January 20, 2020

Broken wing.....



It has been quite the experience being one handed ~ well for the most part one handed.  I can't dress myself on top, nor can I style my hair.  I also discovered that unless the item is very soft I can't cut my food either.  When it comes to the public, most people just look right past the sling.  A few ask.  But most noticeable are the little things.  I went by Target and the person who parked next to me parked to close I very nearly couldn't get in.  I really need the door open wide to squish into the seat, reach across and grab the door with my right arm to shut the door.  I managed it, but it made me think of how we need to be courteous to each other even if we didn't see them get out of their car.  Or, if you see someone struggling to do something, would it be too much trouble to offer to help? 

And don't even talk to me about shirts with buttons.  At first my arm was so swollen I had to wear a man's dress shirt to work ~ it was not comfortable.  The sleeves were too long and it had an annoying tag that I really noticed by 10 am at work.  Now that the swelling has gone down I can wear my own button down's, so nice.  It's funny, I hardly ever wore them before, and now I'll probably wear them out. 

Sleeping is ok, but I really miss sleeping on my left side, which has been my habit for years.  And after deciding to stop reading and put the book on my nightstand requires me to practically get out of bed to do so.  (I'm on the right side if you're at the foot looking at the headboard). 

The other day I looked at Romeo in the eye and said "this is going to go on for awhile".  He said "no problem!" but he does become irritated sometimes.  As I guess we all do. 

I can't even put deodorant on by myself.  This is quite humbling.

Love, 365

9 comments:

  1. I'm sorry! I hope you're feeling better soon! How long do they think you'll have to be out of commission?

    I had rotator cuff surgery 10 years ago.
    I joked about needing special deodorant... left guard as well as right guard.

    And pondered marching into the nearest Walgreens to demand left-handed tampons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, "left guard"....your humor always cracks me up. I really don't know how long it will be before I can lift my arm from the shoulder, the next appt. is in a couple of weeks. I am glad I didn't have surgery though! I can't imagine not being able to use my dominant hand for everything.....

      Delete
  2. I had a neck issue years ago and could not use my right arm...not as immobile as yours, but I can empathize. After a laminectomy operation all was well, but it took a while to regain muscle due to atrophy. I suspect you will soon become adept at doing everyday things with just one hand, hopefully they will not be skills you will need for long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The funny thing is, I use my feet for a lot more things ~ always being aware of not falling over while doing it of course. :-)

      Delete
  3. All the little things we take for granted! Probably by the time you figure out all the tricks of coping and have your systems all in place, it will be time to have the cast off! (I'm guessing you're in a cast?) Take care - Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I'm not in a cast, apparently there is no casting for a break that is close to the shoulder. But I have thought the same ~ by the time I become adept at doing all this stuff one handed, I won't need to anymore. I'm anxious for that day!

      Delete
  4. Going to the bathroom was humbling for me. Trying to use my left hand was so weird.
    Talk about humbling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was an issue for me when I broke my right wrist....now that was hard. At least I have the use of my "smart" arm & hand. :-)

      Delete
  5. Ohhhhh, what a break!!!!!! -sigh-

    Best of everything!!!

    *•.¸💛¸.•*

    ReplyDelete

Drivers just wanna be first........

 This is my signature meme for drivers, haha.  I remember drivers ed....we've seen the consequences on the highway and streets when peop...