August 4, 2020

How Covid has changed the travel industry ........


😆

Any one interested in flying?  Southwest is continuing to keep the middle seat vacant until mid-Sept, or something like that.  Excuse me, but that's not near enough space between me and who ever.  I always thought that the air on a plane is recirculated, although I know they use hepa filters.  I guess that's just not comforting to me.  Viruses are small, very small. And the idea of sitting in a plane with lots of other people ~ who may not behave as paranoid as I do ~ just seems like an unnecessary risk.  Hence my driving to Texas, which is about a 11-12 hour drive.  But not wanting to do that drive all in one go, I stopped in Ft. Stockton Texas to spend the night.  Spent about $70 which isn't too bad. 

Trains?  Nah.  Same problem.  Too crowded and wow, it takes so long.  I would be bathing in hand sanitizer every 15 minutes. 

Which leaves driving.  A car or if you're lucky enough to have more money than I do, a camper or an RV.  Because I have no room for a camper, and I figure that the cost of one would cover many nights in a hotel/motel, I have discounted that option.  Driving takes me back to when I was a kid, when we would load up the station wagon (remember those boats?) and travel across country.

La Quinta used to be a respectable hotel chain.  Maybe it still is.  But not in Ft. Stockton.  There was hair on the floor of the bathroom, and when I went to sit in the recliner, I found one of those big round cheeto type snacks.  So I stuck to the bed, which had the appearance of freshness.  When I left the next morning, I wrote a tiny note (because the only piece of paper was an old envelope in my purse) that there IS a tip here somewhere, you just have to find it.  And how gross it was to find that cheeto.  Which I put at the top of the note.  I put the $5 in the cushions of the chair where I found the cheeto.

The Best Western I stayed in in the lovely town of Las Cruces (which really is a nice town, when it's not 98 degrees outside) was very clean.  Very fresh.  Nice clean bathroom.  I tipped the same amount, but it was on the dresser with a note (they had a small note pad & pen) of how appreciative I was at the cleanliness of the room. 

Many years ago, I realized that the women who clean those rooms are not paid well.  So I try not to make too much of a mess, dump all the towels I used in the tub.  Did nothing to the bed though, I'm not crazy.  And I always tip at least $5.  Oh, sure, $20 would have been better, but times are tough. 

Last night I pondered us traveling to Boston, but the drive is 31 hours.  Nope.  No way.  I guess we'll wait until Covid is much less of a problem, which likely means after the vaccine comes out.  Who knows when that will be?  Maybe next fall?  If we're lucky.  So we made plans to travel to White Sands, New Mexico this fall, and soon to the Very Large Array in Truth or Consequences.  I've never seen it, and it looks pretty cool for a day trip. 




Are you doing anything to get out of town? 

Love, 365

8 comments:

  1. There is little worse than staying in an unclean hotel / motel room. You can only imagine what is lurking there. We are staying close to home. I have hopes that a vaccine will be available in the new year. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all are looking forward to the vaccine ~ well, except for the anti-vaxers. My co-worker keeps bringing up "the mark of the beast" and all that other crazy bs. But it would be nice to travel again!

      Delete
  2. We are trying. We are thinking of renting a very small RV for the 3 of us. We will see.
    I would not fly right now. I LOVE the train. 3 hrs and I'm in Manhattan. Yes I could drive for 4hrs but the train is so awesome. I take the fast train, Acela, sit in the quiet car so you don't need to hear others on their phones. Plug in a lap top at your first class like seat and relax and have a cocktail. I think because you are where you are you don't have the high speed trains do you?That would stop me from taking the train. I would not stay in any of those hotels so I don't know how clean they are. I'm a picky hotel person. I traveled non stop for 20 yrs and found my favorites and stick to them. All various price points. When I went to school to work in the travel industry $5 a week was minimum for a hotel tip and that was 1982. But anything you leave them is helpful. If you leave it at the end of the week which most do you don't know who gets it. I always leave it daily. I then get hammered with service, can I get you more towels, can I get you more water bottles, do you have enough shampoo. is there anything you need etc. Just a tip for next time that I have found works well for me. But who is going to travel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A small RV would be awesome! Dogs allowed and all that, but do those RV parks have showers? I've never done the RV thing. Sounds fun though. We do not have high speed trains, how I wish we did. We do have a train that goes to Santa Fe and back everyday, but driving takes so little time, unless you want to view the country side (which you've viewed hundreds of times) or you're going with a girl friend (which I've done a few times), there's not much incentive.
      I was only staying for one night during travel, and was exhausted ~ otherwise I would have called the front desk and ask them to come and clean up. All I wanted to do was sleep!
      I have proposed to Romeo that we do a day trip at least once a month. Just to get out and do something, go for a hike, or see something we've not seen before. He is such a homebody.

      Delete
  3. Hi there 365!
    I live south of Boston, near Cape Cod. Its a beautiful city, however the Governor has tough travel restrictions on entering the state.... Either quarantine for 14 days or have proof of a negative quick Covid test result(within 72 hours)upon arrival at the airport. I suppose you could drive in and not be subjected to that.

    Safe travels and hope your mission in Texas is not too difficult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will get there at some point! I love history...your beautiful city has so much I know I would love it. Given the current situation I believe it will be next fall before we go though!

      Delete
  4. Yuck for the dirty hotel room but what a great way to leave the tip. Maybe at least the next people found the room slightly cleaner. You're a brave girl. That's a long trip but I can understand why you did it and it was definitely the best way.
    Good luck with the rest of it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I wish I could have been a fly on the wall. Hey, maybe she didn't even find the tip, although I did say it wasn't in the bed :-)
      I really don't mind long drives, but after this experience I have concluded that 6 hours is enough ~ 8 is a bit too long.
      I traveled back and made it home on Sunday. Plus it was great to have my own car so I could drive to Austin and see my kids and Grandkids. For some reason I can't explain I didn't take any photos with little Frank, who just turned a year old.

      Delete

Spring has sprung, let the gardening begin....

  This show of blooms was just the beginning! Of course they smell amazing, and all the pollinators think so too. Windows and back door open...