August 3, 2020

The long drive..........


Sunrise on "the acres", my sister and brother-in-law's small Texas ranch....

I have already written of the heart wrenching ordeal of helping my sister clean out my Mom's house ~ soon to be up for sale ~ so I won't go there again.  Although sis had mentioned once that she hated the idea of me taking vacation time to come, and maybe she could handle it, before I left she had changed her mind and was glad I had. 

I wish we could have had some fun, but with Covid in the background, there was no where to go and nothing much to do.  We do enjoy hanging out though.  She pretty paranoid, so limits her grocery shopping as much as possible.  We have entered times when being paranoid is a good thing.

By Thursday, I was ready to come home.  I missed Romeo and Sioux (the dog, ya know).  I missed the low humidity of the high desert.  I missed gazing at the mountains and just plain ol' being at home.  I wasn't excited about the drive so much. 

The first day I drove from Comfort, Texas to Las Cruces, New Mexico.  A distance of about 550 miles, and over 8 hour drive.   It was mostly uneventful with the exception of the heavy downpour just outside of El Paso.  I was beginning to hurt from sitting for so long, and by the time I checked in to the Best Western I was in pain.  I looked up and down and in both pieces of luggage for the Advil.  Never found it until the next day, where I discovered it was in the car 😕  I slept for about 10 hours and felt fine in the morning.  I guess just sitting and driving is more exhausting than you would think.  Of course, considering how much pain I was feeling in my joints, I was sure that I was coming down with Covid.  Which is both silly and not....no matter how careful I am, I always make mistakes.  Rubbing my eyes, or some other part of my face is probably my most common one.  I do keep a tissue to do that with, but now and then I forget.  So far no temperature or any other symptoms, for which I am grateful. 

Apparently the availability of tests is an issue again, and when Ms Loud came back from her trip to Montana she wasn't able to be tested (they required symptoms in order to do the test) ~ we need a negative test before returning to work ~ so the docs decided that if you leave the state you need to stay home for a minimum of 5 days symptom free before returning.  Since I returned yesterday, that means I am off this week.  Which I am honestly looking forward to ~ I can bake bread, catch up on some things.  I think Ms Loud isn't too happy though because she texted me yesterday asking when I returned from Texas.  All of us at the front desk have been working short one or two people for the entirety of July, and now into August.  In all, 2020 just continues to suck the big one......

Have a wonderful week!
Love, 365

4 comments:

  1. yes it does!! Glad you're home and safe. You always need a week to recoup from a vacation - this worked out nicely for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did, didn't it? I am getting things done....Romeo refused to buy store bought bread,so that was first. I picked up one of Mom's Le Creuset dutch ovens that was bigger than mine and the bread baked nicely!

      Delete
  2. Coming from small islands (in the scheme of things) the distances you can cover in your big country are almost beyond my ability to imagine. That photo is magnificent however - no stretch of the imagination required there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the things I disliked about living in Texas was how darn long it takes you to get out! Yesterday, out of curiosity I checked on how long it would take to drive to Boston ~ 31 hours. I think I'll have to figure out a different option!

      Delete

Drivers just wanna be first........

 This is my signature meme for drivers, haha.  I remember drivers ed....we've seen the consequences on the highway and streets when peop...