December 30, 2020

Day 1 following the vaccine....and other stuff because the former is boring.......

 

It has been roughly 24 hours since I received the first shot.  The only thing I've noticed is that my arm is sore.  There's a bit of swelling surrounding the injection site, and some muscle soreness.  I've been working it out to reduce the soreness, but it is still there.  I experience the same issue with the flu vaccine, so ~ so far, there is nothing.  No headache, no fever.  I'm relieved!  This is my employer paid vacation and I really didn't want to spend even a day feeling like crap.

For more info, go here....

Turkey feather blankets were commonly found in New Mexico, Arizone, Colorado and Utah.  I don't know what I expected them to look like (feathers tied to a cord?  sort of flapping in the breeze) but the above photo gives you an idea.....

If you would like to read this article, click on this link ......

 The woman pictured here is an anthropologist with the New Mexico Department of Cultural Affairs.  She had to teach herself how to make the yucca cording, and how to weave the feathers into the cord.  It took her 18 months to complete it.  Not too bad considering we do not have the daily lives of the Puebloan Indians during 700AD to around 1200AD.  The turkeys were not killed to harvest their feathers, they were "harvested" during their natural moulting period.  I remember being rather surprised when my professor mentioned they didn't eat the turkeys, although they did eat their eggs.   Ms. Weahkee is now working on a turkey feather raincoat that uses the wing fletch feathers for it, given that they repel water.  Ok, thanks for indulging me!  I just love this kind of stuff.....

Lol, this is supposed to be a funny meme, but for Romeo and I, it's more of a testimonial. 😁  Do we drink and party? no  Do we go out to other people's parties? no  Do we hit the sack around 10-10:30. yes

So there ya go, our plans for New Years Eve.....

Love, 365


 





11 comments:

  1. Maoris in New Zealand made feather cloaks (warm and water proof as I understand). I have only ever seen a ceremonial one, and the most prized of these are of Kiwi feathers (a protected bird these days). Interesting how unrelated first nation folk around the world used similar resources in similar ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is very cool ~ I was so surprised when I first saw (the remnants of one in Mesa Verde) the feather blanket. It didn't look anything like what I had in my imagination :-) And thank you for the link, the cloak is so pretty.

      Delete
  2. https://collections.tepapa.govt.nz/topic/8170 - a link to feather cloaks in NZ

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on New year's Eve but other half does not want to miss the change over one more time. I suppose I'll have to keep him company cos there's no one else around this year. Yawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose if Romeo wanted to stay up I would keep him company ~ but it is more likely that I am up later than he is....although that's not saying much :-D

      Delete
  4. Interesting with the feathers. We are trying to start a Zoom year's eve party with friends. Watch the ball drop with friends from our bed in our pj's and maybe a drink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! If I did it in bed with a drink ~ that's doable!

      Delete
  5. Fascinating use of feathers.

    We never stay up to see in the new year, it's just another night for us.
    No drinking, carousing or wild sex. We're too old for all of it.

    And I'm really glad to hear the vaccine isn't causing you undue hardship.
    Which one did you get?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We received the Moderna vaccine. My boss said it's probably because we're out here in the sticks....although Albuquerque is the largest city in New Mexico. We probably don't have enough storage freezers required for the Phizer one.

      Delete
  6. Well this was cool!
    I also like hearing your vaccine went well. I get the same thing with a flu shot and it was really bad with the shingles vaccine. So I can handle that.
    We too end up asleep by 10-10:30p so I feel ya.
    Happy New Year! Enjoy your week off and I hope you both have a wonderful 2021/healthy and happy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, New Years was never my "holiday", I cannot handle alcohol very well. I am what you would call a cheap drunk that quickly starts throwing up :-D I'm the party wet blanket.

    ReplyDelete

Drivers just wanna be first........

 This is my signature meme for drivers, haha.  I remember drivers ed....we've seen the consequences on the highway and streets when peop...