September 9, 2021

It's apparently all or none........

 

**Before I begin, recently one of my coworkers asked me if I ever write about them on my blog.  I said no.  I lied.  I doubt seriously that any of them has any knowledge of blogging (for one), nor has enough interest to search for more than 5 minutes.

This week was interesting.  Ms. Loud had to go out of town because her Uncle was dying, and they are very close.  He sadly passed away two days ago.  Apparently he had terminal liver cancer.  

In the meantime, on Tuesday, one of our dental assistants left abruptly.  We weren't given any information about why.  Was she fired?  Sick?  Did she quit?  No one knew....lots of speculation, gossip, etc.  Later in the day someone discovered that she had a positive Covid test.  Someone said one of our patients called in last week to report they were positive, and she had worked on that patient.  Of course, there is no way to know how she was infected.

We also noticed that about an hour later, there was a mandatory staff meeting on the schedule for the next day.  Still no confirmation or information on why she is gone.   

Yesterday we had the meeting ~ and "to protect the identity of the person" they admitted without the name,  that she/he/it is positive for covid.  I don't know about anyone else, but I thought that statement was stupid.  We all know who it is.  When you have a staff of 17, and one person is out.....only a moron would wonder to themselves, "gee, I wonder who it is?".  They discussed the complaints our office received about staff who weren't wearing their masks or were wearing them incorrectly (yes, we have one person who's nose is hanging out all the time).  The doc's are upset about this, and the view that patients have that our office might not be safe.  Although I agree with them, I think this is all over-blown.  We have been working as we are right now, for 1 1/2 years and this is the first time we've had a staff member test positive.  I've been waiting for this day.  We lean over patients faces all day long for pete's sake.  

Then, they stated that our non-vaccinated staff will, in the near future, be required to be tested every week.  And the fireworks exploded.  One staff member went on and on, and it was obvious she was taking it all very personally.  After hashing it out a bit, they decided our office would buy the test kits for testing instead of asking them to go to a testing center, which does seem fair to me.  I would hate to have to go to one of those places every week. I was shocked to learn that to buy test kits for the number of un-vaccinated to be tested each week for two months would cost the practice over $1,000.  But one person said she refused to be tested every week.  Period.  

While our doc's are trying to figure out where to go from here, there was lots of gossip, complaints, speculation.  I was laying as low as I could, trying not to get dragged into it.  Dreading when Ms. Loud returned to work, which was today.  And I was right to be concerned. 

Apparently she, and a few of the other non-vaccinated staff agreed that they would be ok with testing if everyone is tested.  Ms. Loud was saying that it's discrimination to require testing only from those without the jab.  Then she compared it to Christians and Jews, and then I had to say it's nothing like that, omg, that's a ridiculous comparison.  Then I turned around to my desk and said no more.  

Our OM (office manager) confided that if the doc's fold on their plan she will retire.  Which she is eventually planning on doing anyway, but she's tired of this situation that she knew would come, and has been trying to discuss with them for a year.  I have no idea what will ensue.  If I had all my ducks lined up I would give my notice tomorrow.  I am sick and tired of these non-vaccinated people crying out because they can't go to the state fair (ours is requiring it),   Truthfully they probably wouldn't have gone anyway, but they feel justified to constantly bitch about it.  

I am vaccinated.  I couldn't wait to get vaccinated.  I understand some people don't want to, and support their right to remain unprotected.  But don't expect a lot of sympathy from me when consequences have to be paid.

Love, 365



8 comments:

  1. Its amazing after 1-1/2 years, people still don't know how to wear a face mask properly.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately it's not that they don't know how. It's their way of resisting. Most of those people either believe that masks don't make any difference, or that we're all going to get it at some point anyway, so why fight it.

      Delete
  2. Every society needs a group to complain about hate and blame for their problems, now we have the unvaccinated!

    I got both shots so please don't hate me. I did vote Republican, so hate me for that if your readers must.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I'm concerned, they have the right to choose. My point is that I have little sympathy that they are now having to pay the price for it, even for something as silly as not being able to go to the state fair. I guess I haven't successfully communicated my opinion.

      Delete
  3. Facts are never a consideration for some. Every opinion/theory is out there, all one has to do is choose which one is best for them. I know I'll never convince someone who is against the vaccine that their fears are unfounded. I've advised they speak to the pharmacists that vaccinate people all day, if they have fears and concerns. Otherwise, I am deaf to their complaints now. I used to listen, but I see now it's not worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of jobs have 'requirements' that someone in the job needs to meet. There is a set of vaccinations that all health professionals in my home country must have in order to be employed - highly infectious things like Hepatitis are on there. No vaccination -then you won't get employed. If that's ok at the start of employment stage, then why not ok when some new infectious and dangerous disease and its vaccine comes along? There have been huge protests here in Greece when health workers were told vaccine is a requirement. Anyone unvaccinated is on unpaid leave until either vaccinated or the situation is under control. Teachers next... The military... The government is working their way through the civil service, so i guess private employers (especially like dentists) can feel confident about making similar rules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are in the business of health care. And although I still support someone's right not to be vaccinated, I think if you're 5 inches above someone's face, they should be vaccinated. I do applaud all of the measures we have taken, and they work, as this is the first person to test positive in our office since it all started. And likely he/she/it :D contracted it outside of the office. Truthfully I wish I worked in an office where everyone is protected.

      Delete
  5. Our unvaxxed are also having a fit. technically we are federal employees, but don't fall under the mandate. But who would pay for and administer all the tests for the unvaxxed remains undecided. Personally, I think it's a good idea only because if an unvaxed comes back + then anyone in close proximity (vaxxed or not) can be tested to see if they are carring it. We can not afford to have anyone out sick. Period.

    And I'm so sick of the unvaxxed saying they will outright quit if the federal mandate is enforced for our division. Yeah... Okay... you're giving up a pension, and your paycheck (which is really good for what you're doing) AND your cushy health insurance??? For something that if you went to your doctor, and actually communicated with them, you could get an exception for? I don't think so. Shut up Karen and get back to work. :)

    ReplyDelete

False spring is over.....

  I took this photo of a ranunculus I bought a few days before.  They are such beautiful flowers ~ so delicate and brightly colored.  I don&...