November 15, 2016

Yep, I can bake.....

Triple berry cinnamon bread

I like to bake.  I like to cook too, and have some awesome recipes that I consider signature: Louisiana gumbo (with sausage, chicken and shrimp), beef carbonnade (great fall/winter dish), King Ranch chicken.  But, give me a challenge of a cake, cookies, pie, etc., and that's when I'm at my happiest.  

Ultimate coconut cake
3 layers, creamy custard in between, with torch browned meringue frosting

Chocolate raspberry tartlets

Of course my family loves these creations.  Some I do on a regular basis, some are only once or so a year on a special occasion.  My cookies are sublime.  But there is a price to be paid.  And no, it's not gaining weight (ha ha).  No, the price is that ones reputation gets around.  And the next thing you know, people are asking you to bake something for them.  My racquetball friends have asked that I bake for every ones birthday, you know "since I bake all the time anyway" and I only need to bring a piece for the birthday person.  It's cool, it's not that often....but why does it always seem to happen when I'm at my busiest?  And why do I open my mouth and ask said person what they would like?  Especially when they ask for the carrott cake that takes me 3 hours to do.  Even worse is when I volunteer myself to bake a pie ~ like I am at this very minute ~ for a co-worker who happened to mention she didn't really like cake for her birthday?  I guess I'm just a sucker who loves to bake....and make people happy.  So, if you're like me, I suggest you keep your baking obsession a secret, or embrace the chaos.....

Love, 365

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drivers just wanna be first........

 This is my signature meme for drivers, haha.  I remember drivers ed....we've seen the consequences on the highway and streets when peop...