August 5, 2018

Remember Pete? He's on hiatus....

Petroglyphs in Albuquerque

It is a bright sunshiny day here in Albuquerque.  It seems the monsoon season has taken a bit of a break with 0% chances until Thursday, which then bumps up to a whopping 10%.  It's unreasonable to expect showers every evening.  The landscape has greened up, and the view of the west mesa is beautiful.  It's been nice to take a break from watering plants, but we'll have to get back on it this week.  Truthfully, I'll take the break from the humidity, which I'm no longer used to.  

Romeo goes back to school next week, and he is both excited and bummed.  Once he completes his last test, which is next week, he will be fully licensed.  Next school year he'll be looking for a different school to teach in, hopefully one closer to home, and in the Albuquerque Public School system ~ not because it's a great system because it sucks, is part of the good ol' boy system, corrupt, bureaucratically heavy, but because NMPED (New Mexico Public Ed. Dept.) absolutely hates charter schools and is always looking for ways to exterminate them.  The charter school Romeo has been at has been threatened with closure at least 3 times in the last 2 years.  The last time NMPED had a closed meeting and voted to shut it down, only to have a hand smack that they can't do that legally.  Not that they didn't try.  Our state, like many others has a huge teacher shortage.  No one wants to do it anymore, and for a myriad of reasons.  One of our patient's at the dental office has kept an ongoing dialogue of "two more years" then "my last year" in teaching.  Apparently she has a principal that is not to her liking.  She says she wants to go into real estate, although I hope she doesn't think she'll have more family time in that profession.  That's all evening and weekend work, and it's tough to get established.  I actually obtained my license, but decided not to pursue it because I'd never be home when everyone else would be. 

Currently on my second cup of coffee, and soon will get dressed for racquetball.  I do love having a break between classes (I only have two more to go until graduation!), although there are times when I just can't figure out what to do with myself.  I think I need to plan it, because otherwise I just do stuff at home, stuff that needs to be done but aren't my favorite things to do ~ laundry, housecleaning, etc.  

And still no grades, although to be fair I didn't think there would be any change over the weekend.  Although that hasn't stopped me from checking.  

Love, 365

5 comments:

  1. You couldn't pay me enough to teach in the public schools.
    There isn't even a way to list everything that's wrong with what we, as a society, do wrong for our children. It's a shit system, the very definition of dysfunctional, and we send a lot of messed up kids out into the world. We're disrespectful to our kids, sadly.

    This isn't to say that people who teach or do other school jobs are bad or don't care about the children, though. The system is a behemoth with no concern for anything other than money.

    The individuals are much better than that, thank goodness.

    You need to give Pete a call. That guy screws around way too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I don't have children when I read this stuff about schools.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m glad mine aren’t in school anymore. It’s the system that ties hands, wish we could change that.

      Delete
  3. Hope the break is still going well. We have had good luck with the school district so far in Idaho and feel lucky with the teachers the kids have had. With all the people moving to Boise, we are near a teacher shortage as well. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that teachers are in an uproar nationwide, as evidenced by the multiple protests that have been in the news.
      I am enjoying the break, but it'll be over in a little over a week. I have high hopes for the class, but then I always do! Some classes have a content that was nothing like I expected! We'll see.

      Delete

Drivers just wanna be first........

 This is my signature meme for drivers, haha.  I remember drivers ed....we've seen the consequences on the highway and streets when peop...