March 8, 2019

Arriving at the end.......

Fake chickens....my sister doesn't have them in the yard anymore, hahahaha
Why fake chickens?
No one knows.....

As most of you who sometimes read this normally pointless blog know, I will be graduating with my bachelor's degree in a little over 2 months.  We have another long term commitment that will be completed in 5 months.  Our mortgage.  I had called the mortgage company a few weeks ago because I couldn't find my tax return document, and after the guy I spoke to had helped me navigate the web site to find it, he also mentioned that we will soon be making our last payment.  I knew this of course.  Anyone with a mortgage looks forward to that final payment.  Unbeknownst to me, the final payment is handled a bit differently than all the payments that precede it.  It has to be made with a certified check, or cashiers check or something like that.  Interesting.  So, they have been automatically withdrawing our monthly payment for 15 years.  I don't really understand the reason for this change, but I will call them a month before to get the payoff amount and arrange for the check.  I just thought it was interesting that they trusted me for the last 15 years but not for the last payment.

I'm looking forward to it because I had thought that the first thing we would do is purchase a new car for me.  I have been driving the same vehicle for longer than the mortgage.  Romeo said "Once the mortgage is paid.......we'll redo the roof".  I was deflated.  Guess that new vehicle will have to wait.  In the meantime, I'm going to start some test driving. ;-)

On Tuesday our instructor was out, apparently she was interviewing at a university in Toronto.   She had someone come in and show us a movie about William Walker ~ someone you probably don't know much about unless you study American history during the expansion period.  I certainly had never heard of him.  Here is a review of the movie by Vincent Canby if you're interested.  Personally I found it boring.  Especially after the first hour.  Parts of it remind me of Monty Python.  The story takes place in the late 1800s, but there's a car speeding down the road, guys drinking Coke and using zippo lighters to light their Marlboro's.  These are "anachronisms" that are intended to point out the continued "filibuster-ing" of Central America by the U.S.  Whatev.  

I digress, because she started out telling us we would watch the last 15-20 minutes of the film.  But she never got there.  Instead she handed us a list of the questions that go with our readings, and a handful of different maps.  We were to answer the questions as a group, but our group, which has some of the more knowledgeable folks of C. Amer. history in it just sat there.  We didn't discuss much.  Instead, some of the group were looking at the maps and putting them together in chronological order.  Then, ignoring the questions, she had each group stand up with our maps in order.  The first group, which I felt sorry for, were first ~ and like me, they didn't have a clue what to do.  They were chastened for not being in the right order or knowing what was going on.  It was a fiasco that is typical of her teaching style.  Oh, and I forgot that she announced at the beginning of class that if you had a "see me" note on your essay, it meant you didn't meet the mark on your essay, oh, and please stay after class to go over it.  Humiliating much?  I can't wait to be done with it.  As I've said before, I wish I had taken the medieval wanderers class.  =sigh=  

Love, 365

Oh, and I made a 87 on my essay, which I was happy with. 

4 comments:

  1. I wasn't aware that's the way you had to make your last mortgage payment. We aren't quite there yet but someday. Congrats on being almost done with the house payments. Hopefully, Romeo will change his mind after you tell him about all of your test drives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welllll, probably not. He has been worried about the roof for a few years and it really does need to be done. Our saving grace will be if our insurance agrees that there has been damage by hail and wind (we have a flat roof mostly with a bit of Spanish tile on part of it). IF they agree that it has been damaged then they will likely pay for half? most? Then I can replace my 2002 Isuzu. Fingers crossed.

      Delete
  2. We paid off our mortgage almost 10 years ago. It changed my life:)
    Congratulations on the degree. It takes grit to earn those.
    R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although we probably won't have a party :-) we'll likely go have a nice dinner! And thank you ~ I just can't wait until May rolls around!

      Delete

Drivers just wanna be first........

 This is my signature meme for drivers, haha.  I remember drivers ed....we've seen the consequences on the highway and streets when peop...