November 15, 2019

Happy Friday & more about the end.....

Believe it or not, this is a burial ground.....

Yeah, I apologize to all of you that really, really don't want to discuss our inevitable end.  All of us will die someday.  That doesn't mean we want to think about it much less talk to our families about it.  It's an uncomfortable subject.  Maybe we just don't want to be overwhelmed ~ & believe me, it is overwhelming.  I had to change my final wishes due to religious reasons.  But the idea of being "preserved" with embalming frankly grossed me out.  In my research for a natural burial, I discovered that New Mexico has a burial ground just south of Albuquerque.  No embalming.  No fancy caskets.  Much more affordable than the traditional funeral home service ~ after adding everything up, it is more than $5,000 less (because the plan I had discussed last week didn't include a place to actually bury in).  There may have been something I failed to add in, but it came to just a tad over $3,000. The only sticky wicket is that you are buried within 24 hours or so.  Obviously.  So if you have family out of town, they will likely miss it, but since they include GPS coordinates, they can always go out if they want to.  I know this sounds very depressing to some.  But I will feel so relieved that Romeo won't have to make these plans if I die before he does.  I'm doing it for him and the rest of the family. 

This type of burial is sometimes called "green", and for good reason.  No poisonous embalming fluid seeping into the ground.  No toxic fumes released into the air with cremation.  Even though that's not my main concern, it's good to know.  Ok, so there.  Now you know!
*************************************************

Howdy!

I am so glad for this 4 day weekend coming up.  I don't have a lot on the calendar, which is why!  Although I do need to find a turkey.......and edible turkey, haha.  Last year I was so lucky to find a small one, I think it was around 8 lbs, which is perfect for the two of us.  Basically it's just a large chicken :-)

The weeks after this one become increasingly busy.  Cookie baking.  Decorating.  Parties (although there are only a few).  Church services of course.  Somehow I manage to dread and feel excited about it all.  Of course included in all this is buying a few gifts ~ mostly for the kids.  Our family draws names at Thanksgiving, so there's only one item to purchase.  Takes a little pressure off.  The pressure is to make sure I get it sent off on time ~ I have cut it very close a few times.  

Enjoy your weekend!

Love, 365

5 comments:

  1. Wow that was very interesting. I didn't know there were burial grounds for those other than Native Americans. I don't find this talk depressing any more than buying life insurance. I bet you'll be glad when all this is done though. We know what each others wants but we need to get it in writing so if we go together everyone knows. We prefer not to take up land and be buried. We did find it fascinating that when my hubbys mom died that one is burned in the casket if they wish to be cremated. Who knew? So the casket we had to pick looked like a derby box car. Of course for viewing it was decorated to look exactly like the metal ones. Then after the viewing it is all burned together. It sure was a lot of money to just burn it. Odd don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the interesting parts was that there is a Jewish section, apparently because they have strict rules against embalming. So their burials generally happen within 24 hours.
      It does seem weird to buy a beautiful casket only to burn it. Goes against my "waste not want not" mind set.

      Delete
  2. Your burial plans sound nice. I want to go out the Viking way and get torched. Enjoy the long weekend and you look wonderful in your photo. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would go to that ~ they look so cool! Better find an archer with a good aim.....

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Drivers just wanna be first........

 This is my signature meme for drivers, haha.  I remember drivers ed....we've seen the consequences on the highway and streets when peop...