November 5, 2020

"F" that......

 

Ah, the "f" word.  Y'all know which one I mean.  Even kids do.  Lots of people use this word a lot.  Although I used to use it ~ although not a lot ~ I've worked hard to erase it from my vocab.  It's hard to change old ingrained habits, sort of like quitting smoking 😉

At first I had limited success.  You don't realize how it becomes your go-to word for those moments until you're trying to stop.  It has taken me nearly a year, and I still slip up although rarely.  I think it's a horribly ugly word that has tragically become an every day expression for a great many people.  

I recently added three comedy channels to my Sirius radio, which I found when I was traveling to and fro from Texas.  Do you ever listen to adult comedy?  I guess comedians think it's not really funny unless they use that particular word ~ although they use lots of others that are as bad.  Jim Gaffigan is one of the few really funny comedians that doesn't ever use it...there are others, but the majority put "f" this and that in all of their routines.  It really disappoints me.  With thousands of words at our disposal, I guess people feel the need to be shocking and foul.  =sigh=

Well, there it is.  My little rant for today.  Am I too sensitive?  Or maybe I've become an old grandma.

Love, 365

8 comments:

  1. I do get it and agree, though I have not weened myself of it's usage completely. It used to make a comic routine funnier because as you say the shock value. Currently the word is used so much, often simply a punctuating "place word" that it has lost all shock value. I prefer friging, flooping, and frumping. THe exception is when the Irish use it... "Fooking" with that accent always makes me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, adding an accent does increase the humor (at least for us Americans, haha).

      Delete
  2. Totally agree with you. Humour is funnier for being clever, and f-word (and angry rants) just seems lazy in a comedy routine. We can all do angry rant and swear, but clever humour is a real talent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have added that I always give a pass to real comedic genius of George Carlin. Funny and clever....

      Delete
  3. I neither find it offense or foul. I sort of get why you do though so if ever in your company I would not say it. I prefer comedians who are just funny and not use a swear word to make something funny because it doesn't help the joke. My favorites Kathleen Madigan, Lewis Black, Sebasitian M. and Ron White are very funny to me. None drop the F bomb through their sets and I find them funny. They may have used it a time or two I don't recall it though. I am insensitive to it I guess. Saying friggin' or anything else just means f-k it so what is the difference? Same meaning. I think we give this word too much value in all aspects. If someone says God damnit, people go ape shit. I don't get that either. But to each their own. I do not say it for shock value. I say it because the word is needed to make the point. I say it because it feels right. I say it because it is versitale. noun, adjective, pronoun, verb etc. Yes, I have a bigger vocabulary but I like the word. Period. So you don't have to use it. You don't have to read it. We can agree to disagree on this one with the exception of comedians. I don't think a word makes them funny at all. And shock value? Maybe in 1970 with Richard Pryor but it's no longer shocking to use that word. They just don't have good material. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait....George Carlin. Surely? I loved him, even though he cursed worse than any sailor.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Spring has sprung, let the gardening begin....

  This show of blooms was just the beginning! Of course they smell amazing, and all the pollinators think so too. Windows and back door open...