May 24, 2015

Not just another Sunday

Google images.....
Memorial Day used to be Decoration Day, to honor those that lost their lives in the Civil War.  
By 1890, our country "memorialized" all of our men and women that died in wartime.

We cherish too, the Poppy red
That grows on fields where valor led,
It seems to signal to the skies
That blood of heroes never dies.
(Moina Michael, 1915)

Moina began to wear a red poppy in honor of fallen soldiers.  She decided to sell them, with the proceeds to go to soldiers in need, and her idea spread around the world.  In 1948 the U.S. Postal service created this stamp to honor Moina for her efforts.

I don't recall ever hearing her name in our history books.....I'm sure there are many more heroes in the U.S. that have never been recognized for their efforts (men and women).

But, while we are enjoying our barbeque's and enjoying a well deserved day off, making it a 3 day weekend for us, we should take a moment to remember those who sacrificed their lives for us and for our country.  And dear Moira for creating a unique fund raiser to help soldiers in need.  

Love, 365

1 comment:

  1. This is the first time I've ever heard this story.
    Of course it's not taught in school.

    ReplyDelete

Shall we go crazy? Yes, I think we shall.......

 There are a lot of things on my mind lately.  One of them is my upcoming colonoscopy.  Which I don't want.   I had one scheduled last f...