September 24, 2016

Explain how to be angry and supportive of someone at the same time.....please

(Bing images)

Where do I begin with the cluster fuck that was this week?

Romeo got a speeding ticket a few weeks ago.  I told him "it happens to everyone at some point", "don't worry about it", etc.....

I waited until the last minute (procrastination, remember?), only to discover that he must go to traffic court, because the officer ticketed him and checked off that he must appear in court.  I didn't realize that if that box is checked, he MUST go.  There is no option to pay online if that box is checked.  More frustrating was that he had told the officer that he would pay, he couldn't get time off to go to court.  And Romeo didn't even look at it, he just signed and that was that.  So, on Monday the 19th (his court date) I had to call the school and beg someone to let Romeo know he needs to either call me or look at the texts I sent.  Offered to bring him a check to pay the fine, because he never carries the checkbook, nor does he carry much cash & traffic court doesn't accept credit cards.  

Here's what I didn't know.  Because of a conversation he had with a vice-principal of a middle school nearby, who hoped they could bring Romeo on to teach a class that they currently had a substitute teaching, Romeo decided that he would resign his position at his current school, which has (as all teacher contracts have) a 30 day notice requirement.  So that, of course, he could accept another position (that he hadn't even been offered yet) in a more timely manner.  Unfortunately, the principal of his current school accepted his resignation and told him they would waive the 30 day wait requirement.  Oops.

Because he hadn't intended to let me know he resigned.  He figured he had 30 days to find a "good time" to let me know, and that by that time he would already have another teaching post.  Only, as it turns out, he isn't qualified to teach social studies. He is only able to accept math and science positions.  Double oops.

At first, I just brushed it off, and said OK, I understand that you were really unhappy, and at this stage of the game being that unhappy is just not necessary.  Because I too thought he had another position "in the bag", based on what he was telling me.  

The last time Romeo was unemployed it took 8 months for him to find work again.  And truth be told, much of what I have written is my own take on what he was doing.  He has not, and will not, admit to me that that was what was on his mind.  You might think by all this that we have a crappy relationship.....but nothing could be further from the truth.  I really didn't have any idea that he was so miserable at the charter school he was at.  There were signs, but I did what I normally do, and asked, and receiving no real answer, did my best to encourage him that things would get better.  I think I should have discussed it with him in more depth.  

The only bright spot on the horizon at this point is that he has an interview on Monday.  And that the insurance will remain in effect until the end of Oct.  

All I can do now is hope that he is offered a position on Monday, and plan on how to pay our bills if he doesn't. 

Love, 365

2 comments:

  1. Well hell.
    I hope things get better quickly.
    What a mess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ain't it? Once he is working again (hopefully soon) I'm bringing all of this up, and letting him know in no uncertain terms that we really need to talk about major plans with the other before embarking on the sinking ship.

      Delete

Shall we go crazy? Yes, I think we shall.......

 There are a lot of things on my mind lately.  One of them is my upcoming colonoscopy.  Which I don't want.   I had one scheduled last f...