January 19, 2019

Looking back......

Romeo and I lived in many places between then and now ~ there is one place we truly loved (& hated for other reasons).  We lived in a 2 story duplex for about a year.  Ours was the downstairs unit, and the owners daughter, husband and 2 boys lived upstairs.  It had features you just don't see much of anymore.  The formal living room and dining room were rarely used by us.  We used the smaller living area which could be closed off with beautiful pocket doors inset with glass panes.  Inside this smaller room was a small bookcase and secretary desk.  But the kitchen....oh, my.  It was large, and painted a very cheery pale yellow.  Tons of counter space.  It had an old gas range that had a warming oven.  And a dutch door.  Very handy for when you might burn something, haha.  One bathroom and two bedrooms.  How did we ever manage with one bathroom?  

The cons were the idiots that lived upstairs from us.  The owners daughter could not cook.  Everything was a tv dinner (I know because I was up there to pay rent, etc) and there were always dishes laying around with old food on them.  She didn't know how to cook anything.  Once she wandered by the dutch door while I was frying chicken and was amazed that chicken could be fried at home. I'm not sure she could boil water.   Later, we discovered that both Mom and Dad used drugs ~ because they offered to give me some, which I politely declined.

Due to all the food they left lying around we had roaches.  I hate those ugly creatures.  Did you know they can chew through foil to get at a cake?  Yep.  I had that happen.  So, we cleaned thoroughly, never left anything on the counter (cereal in tupperware and all that) and purchased a trash can with a lid.  A few days later, the woman upstairs came down to ask if we had noticed a huge number of roaches lately.  Apparently I chased them all upstairs :-)

The 2 boys were cute, and they were ~ boys.  Jonathan was the youngest.  He used to run around in his underwear with a towel as his cape.  He would show up at our door (which was usually open, with the screen door preventing bugs ~ and Jonathan ~ from coming in without being invited.  He would stand there and yell "You know what?!" until you finally gave in and asked him "what?".  He was funny and exasperating. 

I wish I had pictures of that kitchen.  It was my dream before I knew I had one....

Love, 365

6 comments:

  1. A house can be wonderful, but with horrible neighbours, it doesn't matter how wonderful it is. We once moved out of a rental and bought our first home because of a barking dog! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations! I hope you enjoy your new home..... Its terrible when someone gets a dog because they feel they have to and then never pay any attention to it. We had a barking dog problem too. I was never so happy when they sold their home and moved!

      Delete
  2. We too lived in a 2 bedroom 1 bath long ago and I don't know how we did it. Thankfully it did not come with dirty tenants above me, so no roaches. God that was awful for you both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, to be fair, if you live in a old house in San Antonio, you're going to see roaches every now and again. But if you leave out snacks, they'll tell their friends, who tell their friends (and they multiply rapidly), and so on. I used to hate seeing the cat play with them, because I knew she would munch on them if she caught one.

      Delete
  3. My first apartment was in Staten Island on the NY Harbor, we had a view of the Statue of Liberty and the NYC sky line...a million dollar view. Our upstairs neighbors were slobs and I know all about roaches. When they moved and that apartment was painted, we had armies of roaches escaping the fumes to visit. I hate those bugs!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are disgusting, but will likely survive anything. The worst are the flying ones, which always sent me screaming and running away! We so rarely have roaches here in Albuquerque. I wonder if it's too dry for them.

      Delete

Drivers just wanna be first........

 This is my signature meme for drivers, haha.  I remember drivers ed....we've seen the consequences on the highway and streets when peop...