May 9, 2020

Time to finish those projects.........

The Valles Caldera near Jemez Springs, New Mexico...

We have received our official notice that we will return to work in 9 days.  Well, for the doc I work for.  The other doc starts on 5/11.  It's just the luck of the draw.  And I think those docs are chomping at the bit to get back to earning money.  We have COVID training on Wednesday.  It starts at 8am, and who knows how long it will take ~ I anticipate 3 to 4 hours.

So, now that I know we are going back to 8 - 5, I really need to finish up those projects I had listed.  Not on paper, no that's not how I do things!  It's all in my head.  One of those projects was cleaning the fridge.  I don't know how long it's been since I've done the "take out everything" type of cleaning.  There's the maintenance type which is wiping up a spill, cleaning up a shelf when you notice there are a few crumbs or a ring from a bottle.  But the really BIG cleaning....a year?  Maybe closer to two.  Why have I waited so long?  It's a giant pain the patootie.  Right?  

Now, Romeo made mention of cleaning the fridge, but he throws out projects like that all the time.  It doesn't mean he's going to do it.  Sometimes it's likely a suggestion that is directed at me, but he doesn't say "Hey, is it time you clean the fridge?".  No, nothing that obvious ~ or helpful.  I could have replied, "Sure, and you can help me!".  Which is probably why he's not that obvious :-)  

At first all was going well.  Nothing I didn't expect.  But after removing the crisper drawers I saw it ~ Mt Vesuvius of a red chile spill.  Oh, My, God it was awful.

In New Mexico, red and green chile is part of the culture of some of the best food ever.  Green chile is a pain to peel and put in bags and freeze, because you're putting away at least a bushel.  Mostly it's two bushels.  Red chile is different, because you rehydrate the dried pods by simmering.  Once it's cooled, you put it in a blender until it's as smooth as it's going to get.  Then you strain that, so that at the end, you have a smooth red chile sauce that's fantastic in enchiladas, or tacos, or poured over eggs......there are endless possibilities.  And when you do this process, you wear your ugliest and oldest clothing and dish cloths, because you can't get that stain out.  It's kind of a red/orangey color.  Some folks I know have a tee shirt that they haul out every time they make the sauce....no use creating another ugly shirt.

So, back to the Mt Vesuvius thing.  Someone ~ it really doesn't matter who, but I can tell you it wasn't me, because I would have cleaned it immediately ~ spilled quite a bit of sauce in the back of the fridge.  They cleaned everything they could see.  Unfortunately there was a whole lot more they couldn't see.  It took forever, because it had dried, leaving puddles, and glued the glass to some of the shelves, so I had to soak them as best I could until I could get them off of the shelf supports.  

About 2 hours later, the fridge is white and sparkly again.  I guess I'll have to put a reminder in my calendar so I don't let it go so long again.  

I sure hope my other projects don't follow suit!  
*******************
My Mom is home from the hospital, and after a little temperature scare, is doing well.  I did not realize that your temperature can go up if you are dehydrated.  Interesting.

Love, 365

PS: I think I mentioned that my appeal to back date my unemployment was successful, but it's going to put a wrench in the upcoming weeks unemployment money.  I have regrets, but the machine is in motion now, and there's no stopping it.  Sigh.

3 comments:

  1. Ugh cleaning out the fridge. Yes, I've done it. No, I don't do it on a super regular basis. If anything, it's pull out the crisper drawers and clean up the disintegrating cucumber. Good luck with all your training and hope being back to work makes you happy. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be happy to get back to work. For one thing it means Romeo and I won't be getting on each others nerves as much :-) I'll have contact with other people (good & bad). I'll be earning money, although the truth is that my unemployment $$ plus the Cares act extra $600 meant I was actually earning more than working full time.

      Delete
  2. So glad your mom is doing better. As for cleaning the fridge I had a melt down over that this weekend. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Drivers just wanna be first........

 This is my signature meme for drivers, haha.  I remember drivers ed....we've seen the consequences on the highway and streets when peop...