April 16, 2017

Wishing all of you well on this Easter Sunday.....

Why eggs?

Happy Easter to all of you!  

As with many Christian holidays, the tradition of eggs comes from ancient times.  Spring comes after a long cold winter, with less and less food to eat.  The birds and chickens begin to lay their eggs again, and in some cultures, decorated eggs were given to the special people in their lives in celebration of the "new life" of spring.  In Africa, the practice of decorating ostrich eggs goes back 60,000 years.  And so, as with so many other ancient heathen practises, Christianity applied the celebration to the church.  

Easter candy is my favorite.  My Mom made the two of us girls Easter baskets up until we had our own kids, then made them for her grandchildren.  We were allowed to have a few jelly beans or a chocolate egg before church, where we sat squirming around until we were, at last, back home to hunt the eggs.  There is a funny photo taken of me looking everywhere for the last egg, which was in the crook of a tree right by my head....all I had to do was look up.
**************

Son #2 has made it to Round Rock.  Friday night no one slept very much, as he had planned to leave at 1:30am to start the drive.  After he left, we could barely make it back to dreamland.  Saturday was spent with our phones in our hands to catch the text messages letting us know he was ok.  Much of the trip is in the proverbial "dead zone", because there's a whole lot of nothing between Albuquerque and central Texas.  The drive on I10 is undoubtedly one of the most boring.  We've done it many times, as we used to visit Romeo's Mom in El Paso when we lived in San Antonio.  Of course, the drive from Albuquerque to El Paso is almost as boring.  But, we have all sighed a breath of relief that he has made it safely.  His last text to me last night was that he could barely keep his eyes open.  I'm sure it was as boring as it was exhausting.  
***************************

I am supposed to be studying (as always) and need to get back to it.  I will have another late night tonight....I need to decide if I want to stay up until midnight to register for summer classes, or go to bed at the usual time and get up for it.  I'm a little worried that if I go to bed I won't get up in time.  I guess I'll figure it out this evening.  There is one class that I really want that is likely to be very popular.  I learned the hard way that popular classes fill up quickly.  

Enjoy!

Love, 365

4 comments:

  1. When my son leaves here to go back home to Wilsonville (about a 40 minute drive) I always request that he text me and let me know he's arrived safely. I don't know why... if he arrives unsafely there isn't anything I can do about it.

    We drove on I-10 allllll the way across Texas once. In a 58 Chevy, no AC in July.

    Don't ask me what I was thinking, I really don't have a good answer. But I was with my favorite guy. That helped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It occured to me as well that there would be f* all I could do if he ran into trouble.....but like most parents, we worry. Maybe not so much about how they drive (he is a good driver) but how stupid other people can be on the road.

      You have my sympathy! It's funny how well we remember the extremes....I would remember that too, especially with no AC. Whew!

      Delete
  2. I remember the long, long drive from Austin to Clarkdale, Arizona (about 100 miles north of Phoenix). Can't tell you how many days it took us when we were in our 60's. Now? Much longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Days? No, I live with men that believe in the "straight through" approach. No taking two days, but more like go at 2am, MAYBE stop to eat (definitely stop for potty breaks :-). It is grueling, exhausting and boring all at the same time. Although our drive is more a 10 hour thing, not 16 hours. I would like to think we would do two 8 hour days instead of one.
      So, how many days was it?

      Delete

Spring has sprung, let the gardening begin....

  This show of blooms was just the beginning! Of course they smell amazing, and all the pollinators think so too. Windows and back door open...