April 19, 2020

Christos Anesti! Alithos Anesti!

It is traditional to have red eggs at Pascha (Orthodox Easter)
Red represents the blood of Christ
The shell represents the sealed tomb
Cracking the shell represents the shattering of the Gates of Hades
Christ is risen!  Truly He has risen!  
O, death where is your sting?  O, Hades, where is your victory?


The bread is called tsoureki, a sweet bread with unique spices that give it a wonderful flavor.  I intended to make it yesterday, but I discovered I didn't have enough yeast and there is no yeast to be had at the grocery store.  I ordered some from Amazon ~ what else to do?  It might be weeks before the grocery store restocks it.  So, my second batch of tsoureki will be baked next week....

Christos Anesti! to all of you.

Love, 365




6 comments:

  1. Alithos o Kyrios.
    Nice to see someone else celebrating with us. I've just consumed a large chunk of tsoureki. From the bakery. It's so darn delicious I shouldn't have it in the house. I have tried making them over the years but mine are never as good as the bought ones. Good luck with yours, when you get the yeast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made two loaves from the church cookbook, but I must have done it wrong because it was very dense. Oh, I still baked it, lol....and it was OK. Then I made it from a Paul Hollywood recipe, which I liked much better ~ maybe it was the addition of orange zest.

      Delete
  2. Wow, that looks beautiful!

    www.thepulpitandthepen.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! But it's not my photo, and I didn't wrap my bread in a circle because I didn't do the red eggs. By the time I realized we would still be in lock down during Pascha, it was too late to order the dye! But tsoureki is very tasty ~ not too sweet, plus I love sesame seeds :-)

      Delete
  3. The bread looks amazing. You are going to have to share a photo of your break if you get a chance. Hope the yeast arrives soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will share a photo ~ wish I could share the bread!

      Delete

Spring has sprung, let the gardening begin....

  This show of blooms was just the beginning! Of course they smell amazing, and all the pollinators think so too. Windows and back door open...