April 29, 2020

Uncertainty......

Mt Fuji, Japan
Not my photo but it was too beautiful not to share......

So, here we are at week 6  of the shelter at home order.  My co-worker and I are adjusting ~ quite easily ~ to working 2 days a week.  Of course, the unemployment money makes that a lot easier to deal with.  My work pay has dropped to 26% of my usual paycheck.  *Jenny (coworker) said she is earning more money on unemployment than she was when working full time, but the majority of that UI money comes from the CARES act which adds $600 per week to our qualified UI.  My UI without the CARES act money is really not very much money.  So, even if I do win the hearing it will not be an earth shattering amount.  I really don't see how I could lose the appeal, but we'll see.

Jenny has also mentioned that she is considering not returning back to full time.  This experience has shown her that she can easily live on less money.  I doubt seriously that she will do it though.  She is used to spending quite a lot ~ especially for her grand-kids.  It will be interesting how that goes, because I think that if she asks, she may not hear what she wants to hear.  I already mentioned that I really don't want to work by myself on Monday or Friday ~ something she has said to me many times.  So, she thought taking off Wed/Thurs (or Tues/Wed depending on our weekly schedule) would work.  I don't think it will go over well, but it's not up to me so.......

I am planning on working at least 2 to 3 more years ~ I want to pay off my suv, and put a little more aside before I retire.  But we will see.  My boss half jokingly said "I'm never going to be able to retire!" this week.  He is referring to the state of the business right now, which is not good.  Their bank account is bleeding money, and not very much is coming in.  I understand their concerns.  In most ways I am ready for us to return to full time.  But there are still a few things I need to accomplish here at home before we do.  But when will that happen?  In dentistry they are talking about all kinds of crazy things, like making sure patients are tested before they have work done.  I don't see that working out, there aren't enough tests.  And because the tests take 4-6 days to get, just how accurate will they be?  And my boss asked me yesterday how I felt about wearing a face shield all day.....oh, I would not want to do that.  
I would rather they put up the plexiglass barrier than wear that awful thing all day.  Or wear a mask and a pair of safety glasses....

Neither option looks like fun though.  The docs haven't yet set an actual date to return.  First it's mid June, then it's the first of June, now it's May 11th?  The indecision is driving me crazy, even though I know that it's true ~ there's a lot of speculation.  But dentistry is a bit more essential than going to the department store, so I do anticipate that we'll be back at it soon. 

Take care of yourself, and check on your family, friends and neighbors!

Love, 365

5 comments:

  1. When the tests take several days, the person can get the virus between the test and the result. Access to the 15 minute test needs to be readily available, and people are just going to have to take reasonable risks...but maybe not until this things fades a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I don't see testing patients first as viable. Yes, there is that quick test, but the machine that processes the test is around $5000, and I don't see the Docs spending that kind of money!

      Delete
  2. They definitely need rapid result testing before they can expect a lot of businesses to open without fear and anxiety. I got an email from my dentist they they plan on opening in May some time but I am in no hurry to make an appointment. I am going to wait it out a little bit more. Hope things go well for you and your office.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I utter those words daily as well....I may never retire now.
    Business is down, way down. We are the little guys in the middle. Can't get the stimulus, can't get the SBA money and we don't qualify for unemployement benefits. So we are that little guy in the middle. Fun fun fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Crown came off during Pandemic and I can't find a Dentist Open, I thought about gluing it back on myself but E-6000 is probably not recommended. *LOL* I also took a Senior Fall and our Primary Physician was deployed, so I still have a jacked up Shoulder... I was perfectly Fine Pre-Pandemic so it was ridiculous to have so much go wrong in that first Week of Lock Down! Did I just become suddenly clumsier, more Vulnerable, shit, I dunno? I gave up my Part Time Work about 2 weeks before the Biz was closed down as Non-Essential, I'm high risk and knew I couldn't be around Customers. They're re-opening on the 16th and asked if I wanted my Shift back, but I declined and they are understanding as to Why. Miss that supplemental income to Retirement... but we're not spending as much now anyway, nowhere to really go and nothing to really do unless you want to make Death Runs... so it has to be really necessary before I consider it. Just getting Supplies now is like making a Supply Run in an Episode of "The Walking Dead"!

    ReplyDelete

Spring has sprung, let the gardening begin....

  This show of blooms was just the beginning! Of course they smell amazing, and all the pollinators think so too. Windows and back door open...