January 30, 2015

It's a snowy Friday...and I don't have to drive to work, ha ha ha

Sandia Mountains, Albuquerque.......Google images

When I rolled myself out of bed this morning, it was snowing.  It's still snowing.  It looks beautiful, especially since I didn't have to roll out of bed and go to a job.  Of course, I wish I had one to go to, but I am sick of griping about it, and you're probably sick of hearing it.  

Google images

I finished a book called "The Forge of God" by Greg Bear.  Written in 1987, I ran across it on my Kindle, and gave it a go.  It was an interesting read, definintely a sci-fi book about a civilization of beings that is known as "planet eaters" that finds Earth and decides to destroy it.  Along with them is another civilization that is determined to rescue a few thousand people and as much cultural information as is possible....because they have come too late to prevent Earth's destruction.  It was a rather sobering thought, and I was reminded of Steven Hawkings warning that any extraterrestrial beings "out there" would likely not be friendly.  It is not something I dwell on, because, quite frankly there would be little I could do.  So worrying about aliens from outer space is not something I waste any time on, lol.  The characters were very real, though.  Bear has written about 40 books, and there is a sequel, but I think I will pass for something a little more uplifting.  :-)

Sandia Mountains ~ Google images

I had an interesting interview at an animal hospital yesterday.  It would be part-time, and they are familiar with working around an employee's school schedule, so that wouldn't be an issue.  I was given a tour of the facility, and think it would be fun.  They aren't making their decision until next week, and there will be a "working interview" where they put you through the paces, and see if you work well with the current staff.  I'm really not too concerned about it, I think it would give me the opportunity to show them my stuff, and I'm confident I could handle it well.  I hope to hear from them.

I thought I would share the molasses cookie recipe that I talked about on my last post.  They are really yummy.  I normally never cook with Crisco, but these cookies probably won't be soft and chewy without it.  
Soft Molasses Cookies
Makes about 24 (so double the recipe if you want more)

Ingredients:

1 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup shortening
1/4 cup molasses
1 egg
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. salt
3 Tbsp. granulated sugar

Directions

~Heat oven to 325 degrees.  In a large bowl, beat brown sugar, shortening, molasses & egg with evelctric mixer on med. speed, or mix w/a spoon.  Stir in remaining ingredients except the granulated sugar.  
~Shape dough by rounded tablespoons into 1 1/2 " balls.  Dip tops into granulated sugar.  On an ungreased cookie sheet, place balls, sugared side up, about 2" apart.  (If you use parchment paper, you won't need to clean up the cookie sheet!)
~Bake 13-16 minutes or just until set & cookies appear dry.  Immediately remove from cookie sheet to cooling rack (or a sheet of waxed paper)
** When I took them off of the cookie sheet, they were very, very soft.  Don't worry.  They will harden up, so don't over bake them.  I set my timer on 15 min, and it was perfect.  

And yes, they really look like this:
From the Betty Crocker website 

If you decide to indulge, I predict they will only last a few days, hence the recommendation of doubling the recipe.  To measure out the Crisco (or whatever brand of shortening you use), use a large measuring cup & fill with water to 1 cup, add Crisco until the water level reaches 3/4 cup, pour out the water & wha-laa!  You have exactly 3/4 cup of shortening.

Love, 365

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shall we go crazy? Yes, I think we shall.......

 There are a lot of things on my mind lately.  One of them is my upcoming colonoscopy.  Which I don't want.   I had one scheduled last f...