March 18, 2018

Goodbye, Stephen Hawking

(Bing images)

This week we saw the death of Stephen Hawking.  He finally lost his battle with ALS, after having lived with the disease longer than any other patient.  But that's not his contribution to the world.  What do we know of his accomplishments?  No much....at least I barely understand them.  The fact that he would just think and work out that math in his head astounds me. 
~He proved Einstein's theory of relativity.
~He developed mathematical proof for black holes.
~He redefined the Big Bang theory.
~He proved the universe has no boundaries.
Much of his work was in tandem with others: Roger Penrose, James Bardeen, Brandon Carter.  
One of his statements I've always pondered was his thought that we should not "invite" alien civilizations to come to our planet (which he believed was highly probable).  His thought was that they would be interested in our resources, and not in helping us with new technologies.  

At any rate, rest in peace, Stephen.  Your brilliant mind and positive attitude will be missed.
**************************************************

School starts up again tomorrow.  I thought I should check on readings I might need to do and discovered ~ to my dismay ~ that there are 36 pages of readings for history.  Guess I know what I'll be doing this afternoon.  And so it begins, the next 7 weeks will likely cause me to challenge my life choices, hahaha.  
What college is doing for me:
~increased my self confidence
~broadened my horizons
~proving to myself that I can accomplish my goal
~I'm smarter than I thought I was 

Love, 365




4 comments:

  1. Although Hawkins was an atheist, I think his mind and accomplishments even with his extreme disability, leads me to believe in a supreme power.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny that his disbelief reinforces your own! I used to be a christian, but I've given it up for Lent.

      Delete
  2. I wonder if there is a record for living that long with ALS. He was amazing wasn't he?
    I honestly give you big kudos for going back to school. I admire that very much. Happy MOnday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I understand he holds the record, although I've read that there are different types of ALS and his was diagnosed very early. It could be he had a type that allowed him to survive, and obviously he had good medical care.
      Thankfully I made it to Wednesday, only 2 more days this week! Yay

      Delete

Drivers just wanna be first........

 This is my signature meme for drivers, haha.  I remember drivers ed....we've seen the consequences on the highway and streets when peop...