This spring I planted some morning glories that I sprouted from seed....I remember my disappointment the next day when I came out to water them, and all the leaves were gone. I assumed I had some kind of bug, like the baby grasshoppers I was seeing everywhere. I put plastic cups over the next group I planted, and I had them on there quite awhile, but they didn't like that and wouldn't grow. So I took off the cups and the next day ~ poof! ~ all leaves gone, just a little green stem sticking up. I sprayed. I put out traps for the pill bugs (because they were eating my marigolds). I resigned to the fact I would not have morning glories this year, and moved on. I did keep a net tent over the freshly sprouted flower mix I put in one part of the garden. But eventually the zinnias were bending over due to the tent.
Then one day I saw something like this:
That was the day I knew that the pest I have been battling was not six legged. I got out my mouse traps. Three days in a row I had a mouse. I continued for a few more days, but I haven't had anymore, and I hate loading the traps so I quit putting them out. Luckily I haven't had any more tomatoes being munched on. But today my neighbor who knew my sad morning glory story gave me a dozen morning glory seedlings. So I am trying again, but I will set a trap or two just in case more interlopers join the party.The fence behind my garden has our old wood fence, and about 8 inches behind that is our neighbors fence that she had built because one of her rescued dogs was constantly jumping the fence into our yard. So, there's that bit of a gap, and that is where they had made their home. And munching on my seedlings, apparently.
I hate to use traps, and Romeo asked if I wanted a catch and release trap, to which I said no. Where the heck am I going to release them? I can just see myself walking up the hill to the foothills with a cage and a mouse in it.
At least I finally know what has been feasting on my garden plants.
Love, 365


I hope that's the last you see of those vermin. Lucky they didn't get into the house!
ReplyDeleteGot im. Probably an ongoing battle. Eliminate some and others will claim the territory. Change the conditions that favor them or arm yourself for seasonal battles. Don't the terriers help?
ReplyDelete