I have a bone to pick with runners. I am not sure why, but they seem to think they have the right of way, regardless of traffic lights, or how narrow the trail is.
Today I drove to the grocery store to buy onions that I need for a recipe. As I pull into the right turn only lane, I notice a guy running on the path along the road. I didn't really think much about it, I just noticed him. As I approach the intersection, I also notice that he has the "don't walk" sign, and I have a green light, but apparently all traffic has to stop for this douche bag, so that he doesn't have to stop his run. Seriously! I was turning and he runs right in front of me. I hit my horn, and he has the audacity to turn and hold his hands up in the universal "what?" expression.
This is not the first time I have had interactions with runners with the very same attitude. We were walking the dogs in the foothills. Cactus and goat head stickers everywhere. The lanes are narrow, and we have to walk single file. There really isn't any place to move over. I hear something behind us, and it's a young woman running the trail, yelling "runner!" "runner!". I guess she expected us to stop and move out of her way. Which we did that one time, but no more. The next runner we met, I looked them right in the eye and kept walking. This time, the woman stopped and let us pass with the dogs, and I thanked her for her courtesy.
I just don't get it. Cars need to pull over? Dog walkers have to pick up their dogs and move out of the way?
If you know any runners, please ask them why they should have right of way in every situation, because I am really interested.
Love, 365


No comments:
Post a Comment