April 3, 2016

The world of machismo......

This photo came up in Bing when I searched for photos of machismo..
Abuse and control over women is part of it.

Another photo that popped up.
Being "everything" is not all it's cracked up to be, it's a lot of pressure.
The positive side of machismo is that they work hard to provide for their families.
The downside: Latino boys in school might be unwilling to ask questions 
in school, because of appearances (I guess asking questions makes you look dumb).
Men may avoid preventive medical care, especially colorectal screenings
out of misinformation, lack of knowledge.  As a result, U.S. Hispanics have 
the fastest growing rate of CRC (colorectal cancer).

There are many more negatives than positives.  I enjoyed reading "Machismo - a Latino Opinion"  Here's a quote:

"The Machismo that I feel is unique to the Latino community is the cultural acceptance of the pretension by both males and females that the man is actually in charge".

And yet, the first thing I thought of was my parents.  My Dad strutted like a peacock, but Mom definitely wore the pants, so I suppose his assumption is wrong.  My family is as white as they come, being German-Irish.  It did make me giggle a bit.

*********************************************************************************

Yeah, working on my degree is annoying, thrilling, a lot of hard work, and sometimes just drivel.  I recall asking my algebra professor "Why are we learning this?  How will I use it in the real world?" and what a mistake that was, as I was rewarded with a 20 minute long lecture that lost me after 5, and the rest of the class glaring at me as though to say "What, you stupid bitch, compelled you to ask him THAT?"  I learned an important lesson that day ~ never ask a mathematician that type of question.  Ever, lol.

Even though the Health in NM is a giant pain in the butt, I am expanding my awareness of other cultures and different viewpoints.  It's making me a better person, not because I've changed my mind, but because I can take my viewpoint and compare it to what I'm learning....and decide if the opinions I've always had have merit.  

No, I'm not lost.  The journey is amazing.

Love, 365

P.S. I got my raise, and it was more than I hoped for.  Whew.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Shall we go crazy? Yes, I think we shall.......

 There are a lot of things on my mind lately.  One of them is my upcoming colonoscopy.  Which I don't want.   I had one scheduled last f...