October 16, 2016

Change is both good and bad......

Right???

In my small little circle of the world, there have been so many changes ~ employment changes top the list in the past 20 months.  I was hired to a new dental office in Feb. 2014.  Overall, I am very happy and content ~ of course I would like to earn more...my social security "earnings" statement shows I am earning 5 to 6 thousand less per year.  But you know, it's tough to put a dollar amount on the fact that I no longer work for a micro-manager who would cuss at me and slam his hand on the desk (you know, in case I wasn't paying attention), and a co-worker who is the most toxic back-stabbing bitch alive.  I haven't had hives on my neck since I left.  And, I have more vacation time after one year of working than I ever would have at the previously mentioned house of horrors.  He made no secret of the fact that we would never have more than 2 weeks of vacation time - ever.  Personally, I think he resented that he would be paying us for not being at work, nose to the grindstone.  In February I will have a bit over 3 weeks of PTO.  I can't wait to figure out where Romeo and I will go next summer ~ which takes me to the next change, some of which you might be familiar.

Romeo left the corporate world ~ not by choice, but by layoff ~ and I somehow talked him into going into teaching.  The man can lecture like no ones business, ha ha.  I know because I've been on the receiving end many many times.  He took classes to earn his interim teaching license, and will earn his regular license after presenting his hours spent teaching and taking a few more exams.  He has a position now teaching middle schoolers in a smaller school than his first go-round, and is happy with the new school.  We've always heard how poorly teachers are paid...but it's a wake up call when you see that check!  One surprise is the reluctance of our own Albuquerque Public School system to hire new teachers that didn't obtain their original degree with the intent of teaching.  They prefer "career" teachers, not those that have stumbled into teaching after years doing something else.  Romeo has met lawyers and engineers, etc., that are now teaching.  I suppose from their point of view, taking up teaching as a means of lessening the transition of working full time to retirement doesn't show enough enthusiasm or dedication.  Given the sad state of affairs of our public school system, it kind of looks like they need to shake things up a bit.  Reluctance to hire these teachers when they are short of teachers is, in short ~ stupid. 

My sister had been working in the corporate world as an insurance adjuster - you know, writing policies and quoting premiums for companies that need coverage for their trucks, etc.  Truthfully I am not completely sure of all she does!  But, as she decided to live in a small town in Texas, she had to face quite a commute to get to her high paying corporate job.  Over time, the commute became unbearable, so this year she quit and took a similar position that is much closer to home.  Sadly, from day 1, she really hasn't enjoyed it.  She complains that she is working harder than she ever has (probably because small businesses make the most with the least number of employees by necessity), and recently is really ticked off because the boss hasn't given her the raise she promised after 90 days of employment.  And is using the "I don't have that written down in my paperwork" ~ because it was a verbal agreement.  So, my little sis might take an insurance underwriting job that she can do from home ~ at an even larger cut in pay ~ so that she can have more control over her life.  And I hope she does it, because being miserable at work is really the worst.  

And finally, Ami (whose blog you can see here) has transitioned to a new job, and like the rest of us, is struggling with the change.  A new job can be both a blessing and a curse.  You might earn more, or less.  You might have less stress or more.  Transitioning from hundreds of co-workers to so few you can count them on two hands (or even one) can be an eye opener.  

As the title states: change is usually both good and bad.  

Love, 365

1 comment:

  1. I am sorry to hear about the insurance plan.....the plan Romeo was offered with the school was OK, not quite as good as the previous company, but it sure beats the hell out of my options with obamacare, which was horribly expensive with a huge (7,000) deductible, which in my opinion is simply catastrophic coverage.
    You do need to talk to them about vacation, because everyone (!) needs a break, and people who work with kids are not an exception, but may actually need it more than anyone else. :-)
    At first it seemed as though I ran into previous patients everywhere. It was a little awkward....I've seen a few lately that I studiously avoided, mostly because I didn't really have much of a connection with them. But it is difficult, and there are some I really miss, so I understand how you feel.
    And yeah, he was/is/will most likely always be: an asshole.

    ReplyDelete

Drivers just wanna be first........

 This is my signature meme for drivers, haha.  I remember drivers ed....we've seen the consequences on the highway and streets when peop...