December 22, 2018

Simply Christmas

If you came by today, you might think the Grinch stopped by.  There is no tree (it's in the closet) or decor (also in the closet) nor are there lights or anything else.  

I didn't really plan it, or rather I failed to make plans.  I thought about putting up the tree and decorations right around Thanksgiving.  But then I needed to finish my final paper, and then before I knew it, it was finals week.  

I did bake cookies though.  I invited a friend to come over last Saturday to bake.  In preparation for that I did all the shopping and cleaning on Friday.  She texted me she would be an hour late, which was no big deal.  I started baking the cookies I had made the day before.  By the time she arrived I had a good head start on it.  

She started with putting together wedding cookies (which I don't like, although that isn't the point) by re-interpreting the recipe so that it would be gluten free.  I kept baking while she was putting it together.  She put that batch in the refrigerator to cool and then started out with the sugar cookie dough she brought with her, which was in two batches ~ red and white.  She explains we take a bit of each color, roll each into a 4 inch rope and twist them together to make a sort of 3D candy cane cookie.  Her first one looked pretty good.  But mine were awful.  I don't know if I over worked the dough, but when I started to twist the two ropes, one color rope would break.  I started again.  Same result.  We spent at least 30 minutes trying to get this to work, with pretty awful results.  I think if she hadn't put ground almonds into the dough, it might have gone better ~ and it was a good idea to give the dough a little texture, but it changed the consistency of the dough. 

Well, you don't really need a blow by blow of how the afternoon went.  She had come over at 11 am and a 4 pm I was exhausted.  As sweet as she is, I was ready for her to go home!  So I mentioned I needed to get to the post office before they closed, and she said "well, I should go then!".  In the end I had baked nearly all my cookies.  My kitchen was a total mess.  She didn't even offer to help me clean up.  And there will be no invitation next year.

Love, 365

6 comments:

  1. I'm guessing she doesn't read your blog? ;) I don't think I could stand having someone else in my kitchen baking while I was. I'm a solo artist. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love collaborating with someone while cooking or baking...although I do 99% of it by myself. This time it wasn't a good fit though.....

      Delete
  2. Wow. You really took on some fancy cookies. I like the idea of the twisted candy canes, but I don't think I would do very well with it.

    Cleaning up the kitchen is part of the process. WHAT was she THINKING?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? I'm also very tidy while I'm cooking, so that was hard to deal with too.

      Delete
  3. I prefer to cook and bake alone unless someone wishes to sit at the island and drink and entertain me while I do it. I am certain that says something bad about me. :-)

    Your cookies are gorgeous.
    Merry Christmas.
    (shh...i have no decorations up either, a poinsettia and a candle that smells like a tree, don't think I fooled anyone though)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your idea sounds good to me, although as I've mentioned I do enjoy doing it with someone~ but best if that someone knows a thing or two. I don't want to teach a class on it, lol.
      To everyone who thought those were MY cookies, I'm sorry to say that the photo is from Bing. Those are not my cookies, although mine look just like those without that lovely frosting. :-)

      Delete

Drivers just wanna be first........

 This is my signature meme for drivers, haha.  I remember drivers ed....we've seen the consequences on the highway and streets when peop...