September 3, 2021

What have I gotten myself into?......

Not long ago, I saw an ad where you make your own towels.  You buy the fabric (shown above).  Cut out the size from the patterns.  Hem each side.  Then wash, and you supposedly get:

these fluffy, waffle weave towels.  The magic apparently happens when you wash and dry them.  I don't know if I'm going to have the same success as is pictured here, but I should.  This is apparently easy. Not so sure yet, because just cutting them out was a giant pain.  Unfortunately the fabric on sale is an off white, which is not the color of towel I ever buy!  We are dirty kids :D

What can I say?  I'm looking for small sewing projects, which I thought this would be, but it's turning out to be a bit larger and more complicated than I thought.  

I am also creating some bookmarks to give away at Christmas to my book reading friends.  Since I have my sewing machine out, I'm going to work on those today and tomorrow too.  

Well, I best get on with it.  Wish me luck!!

Love, 365

Later on........

Cutting the fabric...it is so large, but I'm following instructions.  



 

The final product.  It turned out exactly as promised!  I did use it last night, but due to the linen, there were tiny pieces that I felt on my skin.  A few more washings will take care of that.  The color is closer to the top photos, the photo shows it to be more yellow.  Overall I'm really happy with this project, but I am not done yet, I still have to make the hand towels and wash cloths. 

9 comments:

  1. The fact that you would attempt to make a towel is mighty awesome. There is no way I would attempt that. But I also can't sew. You are so handy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's no skill in sewing these, other than knowing how to use a sewing machine. I will probably make more of these, it was fun and gratifying to see the end result!

      Delete
  2. Sorry Y - I just realized you can't see who this is - blogger wouldn't allow me to sign in - above and this is Peggy (Margaret - straight up no chaser)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is kind of cool with the towel making! Something I wouldn't do since I have no talent nor sewing machine, but show us your finished product! Happy weekend!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Later when I finish the hand towels and wash cloths, I'll post another photo. It's a fun project!

      Delete
  4. I have some towels that were originally sold off a roll with a deliberate unwoven bit every towel length where you cut them and it leaves a fringe on both ends of each towel. They haven't been cut apart. I'm loathe to do it now. They came from my Mum (when i got married nearly 40 years ago) and she had been given them as an engagement gift by a very elderly spinster who had put them in her own 'hope chest' 50 or 60 years before my Mum got married!
    Go on, get into it - they'll be great. The fabric might aldo make good bathrobes. I have seen craft bookmarks made of coloured paper overlaid and sewn together with gold thread and decorative stitches (mounted on card). I plan to use the idea as part of a series of sewing classes some friends want me to run.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why not cut them and use them? They may be "antiques" but how useful are they in their present state? I dunno...my Mom and Grandmother used to keep things "for good", but the good didn't come around very often (like fancy meals, or perhaps a visit from the queen?? haha)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My sewing machine (that was my grandmother's) died in the middle of making my niece's T-shirt quilt for her HS graduation. That's the excuse I'm using for not making towels. But if I were to do so, what fabric would I be buying?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First of all, :D "if I were...." sounds like you might look for a new machine. If you lived anywhere near me, I give you my Mom's machine, which really works OK, but since I plan do a bit more sewing in the future, I will go look at a used but newer machine.
      Ok, so the fabric is from Fabrics-store.com. In the search box, type in IS010 for the fabric. Their web site kinda sucks, it's near impossible to find the instructions, so I would call their customer service (which was great when I called) and ask them how to find it. Oh, and the instructions were not included when my fabric arrived.

      Delete

Drivers just wanna be first........

 This is my signature meme for drivers, haha.  I remember drivers ed....we've seen the consequences on the highway and streets when peop...