December 17, 2021

Uh oh..........

 

It started with a bit of pain in my hip.  Arthritis I figured.  It would come and go....and eventually I noticed it is better if I kept active.  The inactivity of the pandemic made it a little worse until the spring and we got out more often.  There were brief periods I didn't notice it much at all.

I don't know what changed things a few weeks ago.  I began to notice my lower back was achy.  Sometimes a little, sometimes more.  

Yesterday it was no more noticeable than any other day, until I went to bed.  Walking up at midnight with horrible pain shooting up and down my leg and lower back.  I couldn't sleep, it was too much.  I got up and took some ibuprofen, snuck downstairs and waited for the pain reliever to work.  An hour and a half later I went back to bed, found a comfortable position and fell back to sleep.  It was a bit uncomfortable when I woke up, but the hot shower helped, and I managed to make it to work.  

So, apparently I have experienced a bit of sciatica.  I am ready for tonight though, I have my heating pad ready, and plan to do some stretching, more heating pad, more ibuprofen, and hopefully no waking up at midnight.  I've always felt so blessed and grateful that I'd never had back pain....now I know why I was so grateful!  That pain made me gasp, it was so intense.  

The bad news:  can't get in to a massage therapist for at least 6 weeks....that long to get in to my doc too.  I haven't tried my acupuncturist yet.  It's been so long, I don't even know if she's still operating her business.  So, I guess I work on it myself and hope that it will settle down a bit.  Sheesh.

Yesterday I received a check from the Treasury Department for a bit over $500 ~ all it said was that it was a refund of "ss ins".  I puzzled over that, wondering what that's about.  This morning I checked it out on Google, and was a bit alarmed at seeing reports of fraudulent checks.  Finally found a site that verifies that the check is for real.  But to be safe, I stuck it in a bank I use here in town (my main bank is in Texas).  

Then today I get the letter that explains what the darn check is for ~ the social security department is finally refunding me the overlapping payments to part B when I applied for and received my ss checks.  It took a whole year.  A year.  Government.  A model of inefficiency.  Bah, humbug.

Love, 365

11 comments:

  1. I highly recommend "Hempvana" great on my arthritis probably not much for sciatica but worth a try. I have no idea what is in the stuff, smoking it does nothing, might just be placebo effect, but it works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch with the pain!! At times I can be in a fair amount of it. I blame it on getting old and sitting still for too long. Getting money back, especially this time of year, is a great blessing, especially if it is legitimate money "owed" you!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Admittedly this is a great time to have some extra cash. I suppose I should have checked in with them a time or two instead of forgetting about it completely!
      The pain part is not so fun, but I suppose it is part of the aging process. Bah, humbug on that :-)

      Delete
  3. 6 weeks is a terribly long time to wait for treatment. I hope all those pain killers work very well..Take it easy. And enjoy that money

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is much better today, and I was able to sleep! I stretched, and took the otc pain meds, and this morning I was happy to feel rested. I guess it'll be a process.

      Delete
  4. Oh I feel for you, as I'm still struggling with back issues, too. Sitting can be the devil, but then so can aging and arthritis in the lower back. However, don't lose hope - massage, physio, stretching, walking - they all help. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope I can get that massage soon! Hoping the doc will refer me to a physical therapist for a few treatments too.

      Delete
  5. F sends sympathy for the sciatica. Research online what the stretches are for it and do them everyday (which is darned difficult to maintain once you aren't suffering from it any more....) At least you did get a check and just in time for Xmas. Enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did do that research yesterday, not wanting to experience that miserable night again. So far so good, I did get some sleep!
      Lol, a check you aren't expecting is always welcome.

      Delete
  6. Hope your back feels better. I was going to recommend acupuncture. The guy I have been seeing is a life saver and it has helped out with many of my ailments. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete

Shall we go crazy? Yes, I think we shall.......

 There are a lot of things on my mind lately.  One of them is my upcoming colonoscopy.  Which I don't want.   I had one scheduled last f...