August 19, 2023

The best of intentions.....

 

I made a pact with myself to write more often, but ahhhh.  I just didn't.  I don't spend much time in my office anymore.  It's unorganized, and I just can't find the umph to go do it.  I'll go in and straighten 4 or 5 things (often paperwork) and then give up.  

Today I need to bake a pie for the potluck we're having tomorrow (at church).  I've finally found a pie crust recipe that is mostly easy.  I've always been a big fan of Pillsbury crusts, since all you have to do is drop it in and go.  

If there's one thing I've noticed about myself, it's my propensity for making things complicated or difficult.  It's a gift 😉

My tomato plants look awful, but I'm waiting for a lot of tomatoes to ripen.  We had a deluge last week ~ soaked my brand new patio furniture cushions, which took 3 days to dry out.  And that's here in the land of no humidity and a lot of sunshine!  It was great to get the rain, but that was enough for 3 or 4 days worth.  It's the wind during and after the rain that did a number on my tomatoes.  One branch broke off with three ripening tomatoes on it, so I'm considering making fried green tomatoes.  And I've come to the conclusion that unless you have a 6 foot tall tomato cage, there's no point in getting a indeterminate plant.  It's a good 1 1/2 foot taller than the cage, so the wind did a number on that plant too.  Live and learn I guess!  Of course, I go out and pick off the tomato horn worms and throw them out onto the busy road we have behind us, hoping they'll be pancakes before they make an escape.

Even with all this fussing, I am enjoying having a garden again.  

My friend that I spoke about having the spinal stroke has returned to church ~ I was so surprised to see him, and happy too.  I have heard that he will chant on Sunday, probably to help the choir to get through Sunday without our main chanter.  They took out the regular pew and replaced it with a much smaller one so that we can accomodate people in wheelchairs ~ which I thought was about time.  

Well, better get started on that pie, so that if I screw it up I can make another one.😙

Enjoy your weekend, and I hope your weather is good!

Love, 365

13 comments:

  1. I hear you on the good intentions. For me, I am just busy with so many different things and then there's the whole ADHD thing and the last item on my list is my blog, even though I'm thinking about what I want to write all day long. We could actually use some rain here, between the frying hydrocarbons in the air and the layer of black tire/oil/etc on the pavement, it's going to be a mess when we get that first large rainfall. I don't care, though, I am looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, I was just thinking the other day that I probably have ADD, based on how I do things. It's not enough to go forward with a doctor about, but just knowing I have the tendency helps me to manage it. But honestly, sometimes I look crazy.
      Our monsoon season has been rather spotty, but we've had a bit yesterday and I'm hoping we have more today.

      Delete
  2. It's just hot and hotter here. At least not too much humidity. The tomato plants are full of little tomatoes but they take ages to go red and then their skins are tough. You make fried green tomatoes, I'll make green tomato chutney 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deal! We are having a cool day today....the high won't even reach the 90s!

      Delete
  3. Our outdoor tomaroes all succumbed to blight and the green tomatoes turned brown almost overnight. I'm relying on tomatillis to come through with some crop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have also noticed some curly leaves, but I am doing what I can to keep them going. I love tomatillos, I use them to make a wonderful green chile sauce.

      Delete
  4. Mmm......love them tomatilloes. Makes for a fine blonde chicken chilli. I choose the small navy beans, but choose what you wish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always made homemade pie crusts until one day serving my apple pie my neighbor said, Peg you always make such great pie crusts. Well it just so happened that this was not homemade. I tried the Pillsbury one for the first time. Sadly, I never went back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! They are good, and so easy. I've always been intimidated by making my own, but I have found an awesome recipe and it's much better than the Pillsbury crusts. They are still my backup though!

      Delete
  6. I admire you make homemade pie and crusts to share at church. I rarely bake and always buy a cake to share at church. Now I am retired I have lost interest in baking. Too tempting to have around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to bake and would rather give it away than eat it. It is tempting. I just made date nut swirl cookies for my daughter-in-law, and saved only 6 for the two of us. Romeo will eat most!

      Delete
  7. Now you are cookimg my old fashion way. My wife likes the instapot, I like the crock pot.

    ReplyDelete

Drivers just wanna be first........

 This is my signature meme for drivers, haha.  I remember drivers ed....we've seen the consequences on the highway and streets when peop...