October 28, 2023

Flavors of fall and other useless endeavors......

 

Before I get into the flavors thing, look at the flowers I scored at the grocery store.  Marked down from 9.99 to 2 bucks.  I bought two and put this together ~ there was only one stem of flowers that I had to throw out.  I have this huge square vase with a wide mouth that I figured I'd never use, but it's great for two bouquets.

I baked some whole wheat bread with sunflowers seeds in the dough and on the top, but those top seeds go flying off when you slice it.  Otherwise it was really good!

I broke the branch when I was installing some supports for the pepper plants, so this teeny bell pepper ended up in our salad.  It was really cute, and perfectly formed.  Unfortunately I have tons of peppers (I didn't realize they are a fall crop, I thought it would be more continuous like tomatoes) and we are due to have a freeze on Sunday night.  So, I guess I'll be inundated with green tomatoes and bell peppers.  

I'm going to miss my garden.  I enjoyed checking on it every morning with my coffee, eating the garden tomatoes, and the delicious stuffed peppers we've had.  One was with beef, the other was vegan with barley and tomatoes.  

While enjoying my pedicure (thank you Devini, the best pedicurist I've ever had!) she was telling me she made her own pumpkin butter in the crock pot, so I tried that yesterday.  It was good, but the next time I'll cut back on the sugar.  It was too sweet for my taste.  Romeo loves it though, he has quite the sweet tooth.

Well, I need to get back to a project I started 4 days ago.  Enjoy your weekend!

Love, 365



8 comments:

  1. Pumpkin butter - do tell more. How do you eat it - is it a dessert.? Your bread looms very professional btw, and the flowers are just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a small crock pot I bought to keep queso warm, and it's perfect for the pumpkin butter. 1 can of pureed pumpkin, 1/3 cup sugar, 1/2 brown sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1/2 tsp ginger, 1/2 tsp all spice. Put in the crock pot for 3 1/2 hours, stir well every hour. It will thicken as it cools. Delicious!
      The flowers still look pretty darn good!

      Delete
  2. I picked a small pepper like that yesterday. The green peppers and aubergines are still producing but they're very small. And I forget to water them now darn it.
    Your loaf of bread looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I had to take everything off the plants on Sunday, as we had a freeze, so I have a ton of green tomatoes. I grilled the bell peppers (some of them anyway), cut them in strips and froze them for soups/pizza. Romeo took all the frozen plants out yesterday, it looks so bare!

      Delete
  3. I just love all my veggies from the garden. Nothing better. I made pico de gallo with my tomatoes, onions and jalapeno's. The best pico ever. Now if only I had a lime tree I'd have had everything. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum, that sounds great. My sister tried to grow a lemon tree, but after a couple of years, it died. Guess it's not meant for Texas, haha. It gets way to cold here for citrus.

      Delete
  4. I used to buy a rustic sunflower seeded bread at Whole Foods years ago, that I loved, slathered in butter. Yum. Would you share the recipe?
    Beautiful flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The recipe is from Artisan Sourdough made simple my Emilie Raffa. Do you bake sourdough? You could also make a whole wheat yeast bread and add sunflower seeds to the dough, then roll it in seeds would be much the same.

      Delete

Drivers just wanna be first........

 This is my signature meme for drivers, haha.  I remember drivers ed....we've seen the consequences on the highway and streets when peop...