June 8, 2014

King Ranch Chicken ~ San Antonio style!

Bing images ~ mine doesn't have corn in it.....

I was having a little trouble finding my recipe for King Ranch Chicken, so I was looking online for it.  I did find my own recipe (my Mom gave me a ladies club cookbook, of which I don't recall the name of, unfortunately), and my recipe is definately superior.  If you've never tried it, here's the recipe:

King Ranch Chicken

One 3 lb chicken, cut up (I use 4 chicken breasts-skinless & boneless)
1 med onion, chopped
1 rib celery, chopped
2 tsp salt (although I don't put any in mine, because the soup & cheese have plenty of salt)
One 10 oz can cream of chicken soup
2/3 cup canned tomatoes with chile (Rotel)
1/2 tsp instant coffee ~ this is the secret ingredient.  Do Not Omit!!
12 corn tortillas, cut into 1/2 in. strips
2 cups cheese grated (cheddar, or a mixture of cheddar & whatever...)
1 cup onion, chopped

**Cook chicken in simmering salted water, seasoned w/onion & celery until chicken is tender.  RESERVE 1 1/2 cups of the broth.  Skin & bone chicken (see, that's why I use the chicken breast, it's easier) & cut into bite-size pieces.  To make sauce, combine chicken broth, soup, tomatoes & instant coffee.  Heat & season to taste.  In buttered baking dish, layer chicken, tortillas, cheese, onion & sauce.  Repeat layers, ending with cheese.  
Bake for 1 hour at 400 degrees.  Serves 8

This recipe has a bit of preparation, so I usually make it on the weekend (like Sunday dinner).  You could cook & chop the chicken the day before & then finish & cook on a week night (unless you are blissfully free during the week ~ retired, or something).  

I love this recipe, so wanted to share.  
Love, 365

P.S. It's even better as leftovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shall we go crazy? Yes, I think we shall.......

 There are a lot of things on my mind lately.  One of them is my upcoming colonoscopy.  Which I don't want.   I had one scheduled last f...