September 20, 2016

Oh. My. God.

John Gray, philosopher

Excerpt from Gray's "Enlightenment's Wake":

It is commonplace that political philosophy was reborn in 1971.  In the interwar period, and then again for a quarter of a century after the Second World War, we are told, skepticism about the subject itself had inhibited any treatment of its fundamental questions that was systematic and comprehensive and, above all, that issued in rationally compelling principles for the evaluation of political institutions and the guidance of political conduct.

Holy crap on a cracker.  I've read these two sentences twice, and I still don't have an effing clue what this dude is talking about.  And this guy writes reallly long sentences:

Whatever else may be questionable in the conventional wisdom, it is sound in its judgement that we were spared the dismal prospect of political philosophy coming under the influence of an anachronistic methodology of conceptual analysis by the publication in 1971 of John Rawls's "A Theory of Justice", in which the classical enterrise of the subject was resumed in an uncompromising and architectonic fashion.

Thats like, totally a whole paragraph all by itself, although sadly for me, there is more.

So, if anyone has any knowledge of philosophy, or John Gray, please comment and explain.  No, really.  Because I'm going to read it, but I can tell you right now, I won't understand what he's talking about.  Hell, I will have to look up architectonic, anachronistic, and probably many others.  So, I better get going.

Love, 365





2 comments:

  1. I really hate people who write like that. Yes, I hate the people who do the writing as well as the writing itself. Writing should be done for the purpose of clear communication. John Gray, Bullshitter.

    There, fixed it for you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Drivers just wanna be first........

 This is my signature meme for drivers, haha.  I remember drivers ed....we've seen the consequences on the highway and streets when peop...