December 29, 2017

It's biscochito season here in NM.......

Biscochito cookies......our state cookie (Bing images)

Not long after moving to New Mexico I encountered biscochito's, and love them.  Introduced by the Spanish ~ after invading Mexico ~ they have evolved to become a local favorite, especially during Christmas.  If you want to learn more about them go here.  You either love them or hate them (star anise and cinnamon).  Some are made with lard (traditional) or margarine/butter.  In my opinion, the cookies made with lard are the best.  Yes, there is a place for lard in cooking!  I've never tried my hand at making them, and I probably should, but they are everywhere during the holidays so I stick to what I know and buy them.  

If you recall, I recently filled out the paperwork for the annulment of my first marriage (not my idea, I assure you).  The only time this subject has come up is when Son #1 was married.  At both weddings,  Mike's wife became morose because apparently she attends an orthodox Catholic church that doesn't allow the taking of the sacraments (communion) unless the marriage meets all the requirements of the church ~ in other words, you must be married only once or have previous marriages annulled (unless your spouse dies as hers did).  I told Mike that I didn't have any objection to the annulment process.  I received the paperwork after Thanksgiving.......didn't even review it until the week before Christmas.  And discovered that Mike lied.  Every single reason he gave was a lie.  I was furious and sad.  I filled it out, added my own letter to the paperwork and mailed it off.  So, there is my first New Year's resolution: I will no longer communicate with Mike in any way (unless it involved the health or safety of Son #1).  One of my friends told me that the annulment may not be approved, and my sister thinks that Mike put all that down so that it would be.  But, really?  You lie to the church?  If it isn't approved that's justice.

My second resolution will be concerning e-mails.  I plan to unsubscribe to everything I routinely delete.  I am hoping this will reduce my e-mails to a minimum.  Currently, I will have 25+ every day, and typically wait until there are over 100 before I clean out the inbox.  My sister was horrified to see the number of unread e-mails on my phone :-)  She's much more organized than I am.  

On a lighter note, here's the annual tumbleweed snowman Albuquerque puts up every year.
Courtesy of the Albuquerque Journal

Cute, isn't he?  I love this tradition.  

Love, 365


2 comments:

  1. These cookies sound great to me. I love anise and I love cinnamon and cookies and pastries made with lard are always better. I love to bake and sometimes just don't share that lard was used because people go bat shit crazy. A friend who is a heavy smoker went nuts about it and I thought, 1 cookie will not kill you, as opposed to that pack of cigarettes. :-)
    Annulments are so silly aren't they? My father wanted me to have one. I said no. Just to give the church money? Nope. It did not affect my ex or me if this was annulled. I was married, we can't pretend it didn't happen oh Catholic church. It will be interesting to see if they do accept this. I personally think they don't give a hoot - they just want the loot. But that is just my HO.
    I just did the same with my emails - wow what a difference that makes!! Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ".....they don't give a hoot - they just want the loot" ~ hahahahahaha (Me, laughing uncontrollably) Isn't everything about money? You've likely hit the nail on the head there......

    If you want to try making the cookies, there are tons of recipes online. They are good, but make sure you give lots away, or the scarf "fat roll" might become real! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Spring has sprung, let the gardening begin....

  This show of blooms was just the beginning! Of course they smell amazing, and all the pollinators think so too. Windows and back door open...