February 16, 2019

Treading the waters........

Happy Belated Valentine's Day ~ a holiday that is highly over-rated 
and downright cruel to some.....

You know how I can tell that we are fully into the semester?  You guessed it ~ I rarely have any real "down" time.  Even if I am relaxing for an hour or so, my thoughts keep drifting to all that I have to get done.  I have a paper due in 10 days that I haven't started yet.  Why?  Because I was too busy studying for the writing assignment we had to do in class last Thursday, and I have a ton of reading to do for Tuesday.  There's no class on Thursday, but we are required to turn in our thesis statements and list of sources by 4:30pm.   So, I will have to be satisfied by what I've read today and start on that tomorrow afternoon, because I am working Monday - Thursday next week.  

Because I have very little interest in politics and government, the readings are laborious and have little information that holds my interest.  I find that after 30 minutes my mind starts to wander, and I have the overwhelming urge to go do something else.  And although I realize that forcing myself to continue is not conducive to retaining it, I do it anyway, or I don't get it done in time.  So, I have to write notes so that I can refer back to the "relevant" info ~ even though I discover that what I consider relevant and what our instructor considers relevant don't always match.  She is doing a better job of giving us that information ~ in lists ~ of what she wants us to know.   The problem is, I just don't find it interesting.  The colonization of Central America is very much like the colonization of any other country.  The natives are enslaved, or killed (either by force or disease), their land taken away from them, etc., etc.  Goods and valuable metals are sent back to the "Mother Country" to enrich the monarchy or to fund European wars.  Social classes are developed in line with the invaders country of origin, and of course, further beats down any attempt of the indigenous people to rise up and threaten the colonizers.  Ho, hum, same ol, same ol.  It's really quite embarrassing to be European in the America's, considering what was done to the original inhabitants, although of course, I didn't personally DO anything, I still am profiting by my heritage.  Which, I discovered with my participation in 23 & Me is European.  Sigh.

3 1/2 months to go.  
*********************************************************
Work has had it's moments too ~ we have a lady who wants to have some major dental work done, and there were some issues with the insurance, namely we didn't file the preauthorization correctly, which required me to call and spend hours on the phone trying to sort out.  Then she decides she can't wait any longer and then the Dr. changes the treatment plan, which basically threw out all the work I had put in on the aforementioned claim out the window.  Or down the toilet.  Pick your analogy.  On Thursday she came in and we were discussing the change in treatment amongst ourselves, and she thought we were making fun of her (because later she heard laughter, totally unrelated to her) ~ which we weren't, but we shouldn't have been doing that where she could hear it.   Stupid, stupid.  I feel really bad about it, but there's no use in trying to explain it to her.  But if we are filing the claim, we need to understand the issues.  Still.  Ugh.  I'm sure we're going to hear about that next week.  She has not been an easy person to deal with in the first place.  She already accused me of lying to her to our office manager, she's on the outs with one of my other co-workers, but now she wants me to call her instead of the other person.  Knots tied up in knots.  Maybe I can call in sick next week........

And now because we need something funny to lighten the mood...











Enjoy your weekend, and don't forget to floss!
Love, 365




4 comments:

  1. I'm once again astounded by the huge lie that making people 'learn' about a bunch of shit that they're not interested in so that some professor can keep his or her job. It aggravates me that they suggest it makes well rounded people when, if allowed to learn what we want, we round out just fine. Good luck with all of it,there are a million reasons that you couldn't DRAG me into school. Blech.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose that eventually I would end up in a class that I. Just. Don't. Like. It's happened before ~ music appreciation for example. That class was not only awful because our instructor LOVED opera, but he was a cranky ol ass hat to boot. I will be so glad to be done!!

      Delete
  2. Boy that sounded like a bad week. Customers are such fun aren't they?
    As for the reading. I have a difficult time retaining what I think is boring text.
    So I feel ya.
    Good luck this week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...I will likely need all the luck I can get my hands on.

      It would be fun to compare nightmarish customer stories, but I bet ya'll would win, because I've already read some of those and wow....just wow.

      Delete

Drivers just wanna be first........

 This is my signature meme for drivers, haha.  I remember drivers ed....we've seen the consequences on the highway and streets when peop...