October 19, 2019

Beeing busy.......


It has been a very busy day.  I made sourdough bread this morning ~ seems like I am always tweaking the recipe, but it continues to improve.  This afternoon I made peach cobbler from some of the Palisade peaches I bought this summer.  The cobbler is a gift for our parish priest and his family.  As I'm anxiously watching it bake, I realize that nearly every time I bake something for someone (like a birthday or thank you) it's a recipe I've never made before.  Perhaps I just love skirting the edge of disaster?  Who knows.

Romeo was watching a documentary "Figure it out on the Hayduke Trail".  Toward the end, he was waxing philosophical about what this type of hike does for him and others that are so inclined...much of it has to do with a "wilderness experience".  It caught my attention (while I was doing laundry, baking, and putting other stuff away) and I thought of how few people would have an opportunity to go on such a hike.  Jobs?  I don't know if this guy was just out of college and doing this before looking for work or what.  Not something I could have ever done when I look back on my early years ~ I didn't have the money or lack of obligations to take that sort of adventure.  It is over 800 miles.  Because I wasn't giving it my full attention, I have no idea how long it took to complete.  Months, I'm sure.

But anyway.....what I wanted to suggest is that we don't need to take months to hike over 800 miles to achieve the same wilderness experience.  I'm lucky that it's basically in my back yard.  All I have to do is walk out the door and go right and I'm hiking the foothills of the Sandia Mountains.  I bet most of you could do the same.  I think all of us benefit from getting out there...to the open spaces and wilderness that is right outside our door, or at the very least an hour or less drive.  And this is a great time of year to go do it.

Love, 365

6 comments:

  1. Your comments made me think of how I feel when I hear of people taking a "gap" year. I could never have afforded the travel at that young age. I agree that time spent outdoors on trails that are available is time well spent. I don't do it nearly enough. You have me thinking... -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! Fall is one of my favorite seasons for hiking ~ winter is my least fav, haha. I hope you get out there soon!!

      Delete
  2. My great outdoors is on the golf course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, like joe h, love the golf course but love a good hike also. It refreshes the soul to get back to nature, commune with mother earth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does....we just came back from a trip to Jemez Springs and it was beautiful....

      Delete

Shall we go crazy? Yes, I think we shall.......

 There are a lot of things on my mind lately.  One of them is my upcoming colonoscopy.  Which I don't want.   I had one scheduled last f...