October 26, 2019

When stuff breaks.....

It startled me to find a pic of a water heater that looks just like ours....

A month or so ago, I reminded Romeo that he had talked about replacing the water heater a year ago.  I figured now that he is retired, this is a job that he would have plenty of time for.  But what I didn't count on is the fact that he never ever asks for help.  I am the designated helper, which is really no fun at all because on a big job like this, something always comes up.  It's the hose that needs replacing too, or a new piece of plywood he didn't count on replacing.  He becomes frustrated, and although he isn't directing it at me, I become the unwitting recipient.  I do my best to talk him down a bit.  Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.  

Romeo ~ in case you've never read between the lines here ~ is a bit of a loner.  He doesn't make friends easily.  And it would take quite a bit for him to ask for help from someone ~ other than me of course.  He will do the bulk of the work.  I will help only with a few things.  But gee, I wish he would have called a buddy to help him.  

Right before we left for our trip, Romeo finished off the microwave...
It's really tragically funny.  It had a digital timer on it, and you would spin a small dial to choose how much time to cook something.  Lately, that digital time was wonky.  You turn it a little bit and it would show 13 minutes instead of 30 seconds (or whatever time you wanted).  So we knew it was on it's way out.  I guess we have had it for 10 years or so.  Our dog really enjoys sweet potatoes.  So on a shopping trip he picked up a bag (an entire bag for Pete's sake) and proceeded to cook them a few at a time until he had cooked all of them, which he would then slice and freeze.  He had cooked nearly all of them when suddenly it decided enough was enough, and gave up.  But we didn't want to look into getting a new one until we returned.  I found the one I wanted and ordered it ~ unfortunately not available in the store (trust me, this is what I ALWAYS do) and it's not due to be delivered until Monday.  

You really don't realize how often you use something until it's broken.  Like when you get a nasty paper cut on a finger you figure you never use, until every time you do something you use the injured finger.  



My sister called me a few minutes ago and we commiserated together about our men not asking for help ~ apparently she has the same issue.  All we can do is laugh and pray.  Perhaps not in that order.

Love, 365

P.S.  Thanks to Romeo's awesome preparations, including building a simple ramp, we successfully placed the water heater on the platform!!  The part I was most worried about it over.  Whew!





8 comments:

  1. We have a contractor/handyman on speed dial. Anything electric or plumbing I am not competent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, we all have our talents, right? This is the last one my hubby will place. Next time we'll hire someone.

      Delete
  2. Oh boy, another husband like that here too. Doesn't want to do anything if he doesn't have an assistant. And I am not interested!!!
    But how else do you get your repairs done if you can't use a professional?
    Sympathy!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, I'm sensing a theme here :-) I recall when we bought a new tv which was to be mounted on the wall. I figured it wasn't that heavy, but I just couldn't lift it that high. So I asked one of my guy racquetball buddies. They had it done in 10 minutes. And really, it's not like we couldn't have it professionally installed, but the cost is awful ~ $400. Can you believe it????

      Delete
  3. I have a very handy husband who isn't afraid to do anything. This is a blessing and a curse. I despise helping to carry very heavy things with him. Thank goodness we have a 19 year old son, but now he's away at college, so husband has to time big projects for when he's home. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smart. Our son is now living in Texas, but really doesn't come here often enough to plan the big jobs when he's here. Even with the problems of being the unwilling assistant, I feel very lucky to have a husband who tackles most everything.

      Delete
  4. I really do not think that is a Romeo trait I think that is a male species trait. Never asking for help that is.
    They all do this - at least every man I have ever met. Not that it helps you but heaven knows we females will understand. Good luck on getting the new microwave.

    ReplyDelete

Shall we go crazy? Yes, I think we shall.......

 There are a lot of things on my mind lately.  One of them is my upcoming colonoscopy.  Which I don't want.   I had one scheduled last f...